Discuss No power to water boiler (UK) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

Hope you are well. Firstly I would like to Appologise for my incorrect naming of components, I really don't know alot about this kind of thing. I have an issue regarding my water boiler, for the past few days I have had no hot water. It is powered by a control box and a timer. The timer is powered by a 10A socket. A few weeks ago this problem started and was resolved temporarily as the actual switch in the socket had broken, we managed to order a new one but to resolve the issue we wedged the switch to the on position to keep power until the new socket arrived. However after 2 days, we lost power all together, and even after replacing the socket... There was still no power.

I am wondering what this sounds like it could be? Could it be an issue where a wire has shorted due to the damaged switch?

Thank you for your help

The meaning of 10A socket is not clear. Please could you post pics of the setup? Sounds like it might be worth getting an electrician to run some tests on the circuit, timer and heating element.

10A is not a UK socket type, and a normal UK water heater consumes around 12A, so not suitable for a 10 socket in any case, or even a UK 13A one, long term.
As Lucien says above, pics. needed.

Is the RH pic. what you meant by a socket? This is a switched/fused connection unit, and should have a 13A fuse in the little pull out piece next to the switch.
Is there a fuse in there, and is it not blown?
Could we have a pic. of your fusebox as well, please, so that we can see the fuses/MCBs.

first thought would be that you have either a loose connection in the back of that fused switch, or you have shorted a cable out (trapped against metalback box or pireced with screw) and blown it's fuse or tripped a breaker in the consumer unit.. if no joy, time to call in an electrician.

Reply to No power to water boiler (UK) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net