Search the forum,

Discuss problems with one particular formula. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tom

Hi all

I’m in the middle of my level 3 and having problems with one particular formula.

The question is: 1.5Kw heater with a resistance of 0.5 ohms. What is the current drawn?

Can anyone help me with the formula and some examples please?

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

You need to find the square root of the sum of watts divided by resistance. So in this instance, watts - 1500, divided by 0.5 = 3000

Then find the square root of 3000 and that is the Amps, in this case 54.77.

Hope that helps mate

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what you need Tom. Print a copy off and keep it in your tool kit
ohms_law1.jpg

looked at simply, P=VI, as we don't know V, then by ohms law, V=IR, so, substitute IR for V, you get P = Isq. xR.

so Isq. = P/R = 1500/0.5 = 3000. so I =sq.rt. 3000 = 54.77A. now we can find V ( V=IR ) so V = 54.77 x 0.5 = 27.386V

( i never had a pie chart )

The formula quoted in previous posts are all correct the answer is somewhat suspect. Go back and read the question again maybe you have the values wrong.
Basic formula
Volts = Amps x Resistance (Impedance) or V = I x R, V = I x Z
This basic ohms law formula is used in BS7671
also Watts = Volts x Amps or P = V x I
Watts also = amps x amps x resistance = I x I x R = I[SUP]2 [/SUP]R
In exams you will not be able to take in a pie chart so memorize these 3 basic formula the rest you can work out from these
V = I x R
P = I x V
P = I[SUP]2 [/SUP]R

if you have an Android smartphone, download an app called PIRE wheel, then you can carry Wade88's pie chart in your pocket, it'll even do your calculations for you, and no i'm not on commission.

Reply to problems with one particular formula. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back