Currently reading:
Quick question from newbie

Discuss Quick question from newbie in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

marts73

afternoon,
I passed my City and Guilds 2330 level 3 in August 2010. I've just been turned down for a job due to not having my 17th edition wiring regulations. Is this a separate qualification or is it something else? As far as I was aware I passed my 17th edition. Maybe I need to update?
Thanks in advance
Marts73

yep. just do the 2382-12. £250 at local college, 12 evenings. sad, but employers see being able to look up answers in a book as being proof that you're a good spark. once you've done that, consider 2394/5

Thanks. Thought that might be the case. still wanting more money out of us. thing is if your out of work and need this to work, as I've found out today, it won't happen until I'm in work, to pay for the course. Something I'll have to organise when I'm earning money again.
Cheers.

try your local job centre. funds may be available for them to pay for the course. tell' em that you can't get a job without 2382, and that once passed, there's a good prospect of you getting off the dole. you won't get if you don't ask.

it's not the point. your present qualifications show that you have learnt the theory (and hopefully the practical) side of electrical installation. passing the 2382 will show that you are conversant with current regulations.

it's not the point. your present qualifications show that you have learnt the theory (and hopefully the practical) side of electrical installation. passing the 2382 will show that you are conversant with current regulations.
it's a good idea about asking at the job center. Although, I'm not signing on. i've found it pointless and better to do anything workwise as the weekly allowance is peanuts. worth having a chat though.

dont agree,i qualified to the green 17th book and our exams were all related to that book,so tell me why after spending 3 years studying at college to the 17th that you would then need to go and sit a another 17th test so that your are competent with the regs. so if i passed my driving test in a renault would i need to then do another 1 in a different renault to prove i can drive

I think it takes the mick that they want you to do the 17th when you have qualified to the 17th edition.... im in the same boat and i refuse to do the 2382 even if it cost a tenner!!!!

Exactly!!! Spot on mate.

You don't redo every other exam you've passed in the past.
Passing an examination shows you're capable/have the knowledge at the time, then it's up to you if want to keep up to date with whatever.
Otherwise we'd be sitting exams every month, don't put ideas in the Training Providers leeching heads!!!

Exactly where does it all stop..... i agree its a good idea if you have not passed any 17th qualifications but if you have spent 3 years at college and then however long it takes to do your nvq3 which may i add is all relevant to the 17th edition,then why would i need to sit another test on the 17th just because the books changed colour.

Exactly where does it all stop..... i agree its a good idea if you have not passed any 17th qualifications but if you have spent 3 years at college and then however long it takes to do your nvq3 which may i add is all relevant to the 17th edition,then why would i need to sit another test on the 17th just because the books changed colour.

I think you've answered your own question, it's the (see above) of money! :)

Got to disagree with you there Tel, i qualified to the 17th and still went and did my regs course. I knew alot of the answers that the 20 year experience guys were getting wrong and believe you me it wasn't because i was the better electrician.

Its because i had just done 4 years of electrical work all to the 17th edition. My old boss (ex norweb apprentice) said when they did there apprenticeships they didnt have to sit a regs exam as they were qualified to those regs. Only when the regs were updated did they do an exam.

£20 quid i payed todo 17th... Even tho I trained to red and green book.. But the method behind it was if I moved to England and signed up for agency/recruitment work they have tic box system which doesn't have but he trained to 17th. Simple yes or no...

If your unemployed and you feel that to tick all the boxes you have to get 17th regs update go to the job centre plus, regardless if your receiving any allowances etc or not. Tell them that you require the 17th regs in order to gain employment. I did it via JCP, all straight forward really and I'm a oldy You will walk it!

oh no it bloody well wont...lol
open book.....
now any ape can just sit this miserable excuse for an exam and pay their £460 quid...
the 17th edition 2382 does not maketh an electrician ......

oh no it bloody well wont...lol
open book.....
now any ape can just sit this miserable excuse for an exam and pay their £460 quid...
the 17th edition 2382 does not maketh an electrician ......

may7be i should have re-phrased that .passing the 2382 should mean that you can look up what you don't know.

try your local job centre. funds may be available for them to pay for the course. tell' em that you can't get a job without 2382, and that once passed, there's a good prospect of you getting off the dole. you won't get if you don't ask.

I know someone who did exactly this and the job centre were going to pay for the 17th training and exam, but he managed to get employed before this applied.

If u know ur regs don't bother with the training 2382 is easy all the answers are in the book so just do the exam. I took mine with out the book cus I left it at home on test day and still passed too easy

My college just charged us £50 and added it on to the course for this exact reason. Done no work on it, were just told that certain questions were in certain sections, 1-3 in section 1, 4-9 in section 2 etc. Always that way apparently.

Don't know how much it's helped with cv etc but it's never gonna hurt.

Reply to Quick question from newbie in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock