Discuss Range Oven Isolator Position Deemed Code 1 on a PIR ??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

There is no longer a requirement for a cooker switch to be within 2 meters of the cooker. There hasn't been now for over 20 years.
If the isolation is required for in the event of a fire, surely placing the isolator perhaps on the other side of the room from the cooker would be a safer option?

I am not going to be in someone's house using their cooker so i would not be looking for an isolator it is not like it is a factory or public place. As an owner of said house having been told that really it should be visible it is up to him/her to either put a label or inform users of the cooker as to where the isolator is imo.

BS 7671 is a non statutory document it is for guidance. A PIR is an opinion from an experienced and competent person, is what i was taught, and therefore differences can exist.

There is no longer a requirement for a cooker switch to be within 2 meters of the cooker. There hasn't been now for over 20 years.
If the isolation is required for in the event of a fire, surely placing the isolator perhaps on the other side of the room from the cooker would be a safer option?

Thats news to me spin, genuinely not seen it in the regs. If so then why bother with local isolation for the cooker anyway ? Might just as well turn of the mcb/pull the fuse in the c/u.
I tend to do that anyway, regardless of isolators.
I was asked to service an electric chair once, but point blank refused. Bl##dy thing was a death trap.

Went out when the 16th came in.
The last mention of it in the 15th, was that you could have two cookers on one switch if they were both within two meters of the switch.

What if any regulation would this be a departure from. (Not in plain site nothing more.)
Would I expect the home owner to ruin a brand new kitchen fit out along with his tiles, to re locate an isolator above the worktop, instead of where it sits at the moment NO I would not.
Forty years in the industry, common sense prevailing, and Thank God managed to avoid becoming a jobs worth.

No-ones saying that the home owner should change anything!! Just don't try and make out the present installation is a good one, because you know that it's NOT!! 40 Years in the industry, then you of all people should know better!!

Nothing to do with being a jobsworth, you know, or should know the requirements for local isolation, it's been around for most of that 40 years you've been in the industry. A cooker panel switch is not Just a maintenance isolator, if anyone was going to do any maintenance on a cooker, they would i hope remove the power at the DB or CU. Just because the range cabinet has an open back means nothing, you are still having to access that isolator through the appliance that isolator is controlling!! Is that good installation practice , ...No it's not and you dammed well know it's not!! End of Storey!!!

I only ask myself if I would lose any sleep if the install was in MY home. I would not. Would I install that way myself no. but once done, I would not mess around changing it, just really would be pointless, sorry but the fact is some will agree, some will disagree, As far as good electrical practice. The correct cable sizing, earthing arrangements, equipment used, type of protection ect. are far more important to me. End of Storey, nope.
If its not this there will be something else to debate and thats a fact.
PS Have you read Spinlondons comments?? Now theres a spanner in yer works.

Quite right, ...But in clear sight and freely accessable, and not behind any closed doors!!! It may not be the home owner in the kitchen at that time...

PS Have you read Spinlondons comments?? Now theres a spanner in yer works.

What spanner are you talking about?? Nothing he has posted here condones this installation. Never said that a cooker controller needs to be within 2 m, (You said that) if that's what your talking about ...lol!!! I'm only talking about the installation as described by yourself. Is it installed correctly ..No it isn't!! have i said it should now be changed?? ...no i haven't!!!
So what's the spanner you seem so happy about ??

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Range Oven Isolator Position Deemed Code 1 on a PIR ??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net