Discuss RCD Tripped by Cooker Circuit (Update) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Would love to hear what the boys and girls at the NIC would say about his quality form completion though!
If they gave a damn they would require electricians to submit to them copies of all their certificates. As a pro mechanical engineer well accustomed to designing/constructing/operating potentially lethal equipment and all the codes and paperwork that entails, that suggests to me that these certificates are just a bureaucratic joke. If they were serious there would be controls and follow-up. Next time I may as well do my own!

Its trying to guess an unusual problem from distance when we rely mainly on instrument readings for diagnosing

Unless these instrument readings are known,there can only be suggestions of what may or may not be a problem
It seems the suggestions are exhausted and the only course of action would be to get them
It is some comfort that you call it an unusual problem - I would be chagrined if the bleeding obvious had escaped me. I fully understand and take your point but think that since the problem manifests itself only in one specific situation it renders itself to logical analysis.

The company is still registered with the NICEIC so why don't you call them in?
Thoughtful of you to check that out. But after all the caustic comments that you guys have posted?
It is not a "call-back" problem so if I do need to get an electrician in better to start over.

Last edited by a moderator:
You talk about 4years of successful use of the old cooker then a new layout in the kitchen, new cooker, junction box etc I can't help thinking that the recent changes to the kitchen are the catalyst for your issues.

Time to call in a pro with the test gear to identify me thinks.

You talk about 4years of successful use of the old cooker then a new layout in the kitchen, new cooker, junction box etc I can't help thinking that the recent changes to the kitchen are the catalyst for your issues.

Time to call in a pro with the test gear to identify me thinks.
If you read again - what I have said is that I am PLANNING a new layout and this swap of the cooker is in ANTICIPATION of that. The very small simple job that I have done is the ONLY work that has been done in the kitchen since the rewiring 4 years ago. One small change made - one new problem manifests. It doesn't need Dr. House to conclude that there is a connection between the two and take that as the starting point for a diagnosis.

I think you need to pay some cash and get a proffesional electrician with the correct test gear to come and sort it for you, theres only so much you can do online regards fault finding?
Im sure somebody from here, local to you will sort it for a fair price? (not cheap- but fair!!)

i am going to be critical here , one the guy must be italian , as the board looks like spagheti , the cert is half hartedly filled in , missing noughts incorrect Max Zs values and dashes instead of filling in properly ,as has been mentioned no R1R2 readings in my eyes the insulation readings have just been filled in as you have to do an R1R2 test before an insulation test then the Zs to me its the signe of a rushed job ,i wouldnt accept a cert like that sorry moan over
Lenny has correctly pointed out the cooker is on the non RCD side of the board ,also protected by a 40 amp MCB even worse regarding the oven if its been wired into the 30 amp JB over load risk as i pointed out in original thread chances are the oven wire is 1.5mm flex,, the cable looks old as well , the only way realistically the problem can be sorted out on this would be to get the installation tested again inc a pat test of the oven , untill the installation is proved to be clear then every one could guess what the problem may be , this could be a cross connection some where ,there is a good chance the fault lies some where on the ring circuits and its back feeding but as i have said untill all the circuits are tested properly its difficult to asses

Last edited by a moderator:
It is some comfort that you call it an unusual problem - I would be chagrined if the bleeding obvious had escaped me. I fully understand and take your point but think that since the problem manifests itself only in one specific situation it renders itself to logical analysis.

Well,I have in times past considered myself to use logic and experience to overcome probably any domestic fault that I have encountered

Using logic is not going to solve your problem,test meters by a person who understands the readings,whoever that may be,is the only logical next step

it also seems to me, that after much effort by others to help distance diagnosis of your problem that your posts are now showing signs of irritation to those who were giving of their time and thoughts

It may be time to admit to yourself that there are some aspects of domestic electrical fault finding that may be a litle out of your scope

I have to agree with Des on this one ,the correct test equipment combined with the experiance of a good spark i feel is the only way to locate the fault here

If you read again - what I have said is that I am PLANNING a new layout and this swap of the cooker is in ANTICIPATION of that. The very small simple job that I have done is the ONLY work that has been done in the kitchen since the rewiring 4 years ago. One small change made - one new problem manifests. It doesn't need Dr. House to conclude that there is a connection between the two and take that as the starting point for a diagnosis.

"Thanks for your help and suggestions" would have been ok but to criticise my imput is somewhat unhelpful and ungrateful. As YOU say, its alsmost certainly something you may have done, so if you turn to outside help, maybe you can save yourself money and the sparky time, if you point out precisely where you made changes.

Reply to RCD Tripped by Cooker Circuit (Update) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net