Discuss Recessed Spot Lights In Ceilings in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If the price difference is not too much, surely it's better to "Cover your A***" and fit the fire rated ones?

Have all recessed 240v & 12v spots in ceilings now have to be firerated,

It isnt in the regs per se so so having considered the ECA text you might let the customer choose and include the fact of customer choice and ECA research in cert. That way you back is covered

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there, Any room which has habital floors above must have fire rated spots regardless if there 240 or 12v. Think it depends on Building control or part B? Fire regs but the only rooms whihc can have non-fire rated are loft conversions. I know the fire rated ones cost more money but you have to explain and pass it on to the cutomers. They don't mind especially once you explain that their insurance won't pay out for non-fire rated lights.

Do I need to install fire hoods/fire rated downlighters in every situation?

It really depends on whether the ceiling forms part of a fire compartment, its type of construction, its load-bearing capacity or if it has been specified by the client/contract.

Generally speaking, a dwelling is considered to be a single compartment with regards to fire (Part B of the Building Regulations) unless it has an integral garage or has a protected stairway leading to a third floor. In the case of 3-storey dwellings, it is advisable to fit fire protection to downlighters installed in intermediate floors, especially where the integrity of flooring above has been compromised (e.g. gaps between floor boards, etc.).

Where recessed downlighters are installed in ceilings that are not fire compartments such as the intermediate floors of 2-storey dwellings, the ceiling needs to have a minimum fire rating of 30 minutes.

Research was commissioned in 1996 to look into the effect on the fire resistance of plasterboard ceilings with conventional rectangular joists having recessed downlighters installed (with no boxing in or fire hoods). The results of the tests were published in the July 1996 edition of Building Control Magazine. These results confirmed that the installation of downlighters, without being boxed in and with no fire hoods in plasterboard/timber joist ceilings, have little significant effect on fire resistance ratings up to 30 minutes. It must be inferred from these tests, therefore, that with ceilings of robust type construction (12.7mm plasterboard with conventional rectangular timber joists at not more than 450 mm centres and the flooring is at least 18mm thick with no gaps), it is not necessary to 'box in' downlighters or to use fire hoods for the purpose of restoring the fire resistance capability of ceilings that do not form part of fire compartment construction.
Recessed Spot Lights In Ceilings {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Taken from the ECA

Dont forget it is Part L thermal regs (loss of heat) Part E accoustic regs that also have an impact most Fire rated units are Part L and E compliant.

i only install fire rated downlights now, wont entertain old style ones, i can get ip65 (ansell) for £7.50 and ip20's slightly cheaper so for the sake of not wondering whether there safe or not id go for these, as someone said the customer pays anyway and its not that much more really.

once again the law is a arse !

i have spoken to so many firemen etc who tell me it is not often lights are the cause for a fire to spread. I fit Fire rated if its down to me. Just wish the companies would make a bigger range!

Reply to Recessed Spot Lights In Ceilings in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock