Discuss Remote switching of 3 phase consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

maluka

Hi Guys

I have a client that wants to switch a 3p cu (for lighting only) remotley.It is for back stage lighting .
They want to switch it on automatically to bring up the lights on the stage when they fire up their PA system which currently remotely switches the amplifiers which are just below this cu at the back of the stage, from the mixing desk position at the back of the hall........
Currently they used the main switch on the cu to turn on the lights.
I've scoured the regs and can't find anything that seems to fit the bill here.
My plan was to put in a large contactor inline with the tails ( 10mm SWA) with the coil on the amplifier circuit.
I'd appreciate some help.

Depends and the type of lighting and the expected load, the inrush has to be accounted for in that it doesn't cause a significant volts drop on the supply.

More info needed.

hi thanks

I still need to be able to isolate the supply so will be putting a 100A rotary switch in before the contactor, 100A too.

hi thanks

I still need to be able to isolate the supply so will be putting a 100A rotary switch in before the contactor, 100A too.

Be careful here, most surface mount rotary switches are not rated for load switching and as its possible to use under load, you will need to ensure its suitable or get a 100amp mccb disconnector in enclosure, yes its several times more expensive but there is a very good reason for that in that its the right piece of kit for the job;)... you could always reduce costs by using say a 125amp front end 3ph disconnector from a Schneider board and fit it in a windowed enclosure, unless you are talking about a panel mount rotary isolator then just check it is rated to switch high inductive loads.

Last edited:

Reply to Remote switching of 3 phase consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock