Discuss Replacing Dimmer Switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I need to replace a dimmer switch which controls the recessed lighting in my basement. Qualifiers before I begin my explanation - I am a complete novice when it comes to anything electrical, and the house (purchased by me) was built by the owner himself in 1995.

Last week I attempted to turn on the dimmer switch, and I immediately noticed a small amount of smoke escape from behind the switch, and could see a glow. I turned it off, killed the power, and pulled out the switch. The switch smelled very strongly of burned plastic/rubber, even a couple days after it happened. I suspect that the switch itself went bad, but I certainly could be wrong.

I purchased a replacement switch on the advice of a handyman buddy of mine. The exact model was a Leviton RNL06-10Z Trimatron Universal Rotary Dimmer. Before removing the old switch, I took pictures of how the wiring was connected to the old switch, but the wire colors on the new switch do not match the colors on the old switch. I have read the wiring color is not standard, and if that is the case, how do I determine which wires from the switch to connect to my wires coming from the wall. The wires from my wall are colored red, black & white, and the wires from the switch are colored black, black & green.

Don't be afraid to hurt my feelings on this. I'm aware that my knowledge level is extremely low, so I'm taking this as an opportunity to learn something. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Were the red, black and white all connected at the original switch, if so it could be three way switched your new switch is not however this should not have caused it to burn out unless you have exceeded its 20A rating.

Last edited:
Did you take any pictures, before or after?

I would wire the lighting without a dimmer first to test it before risking blowing a new dimmer because of a fault somewhere on the lights.

As above, the only way to figure out the wiring is if you have photos you can upload of how the old dimmer was installed.

Thanks for the replies guys...the original wiring photo is here. Do you also need a pic of the new switch, as I wasn't able to purchase the original.

Attachments

• Dimmer Switch Wiring.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 6

Reply to Replacing Dimmer Switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net