Discuss Rewire 5 bed house in Southport - unoccupied or occupied? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have sent telectrix a PM, very lad to have the contact. Thanks again, also the delay in my replies is because all my posts have to be approved by a moderator.

Tel was 1st to offer, so only fair he gets 1st go at it.
Op if I was you I would arrange something with Tel to do a test on your property, he is a very experienced electrician and will give you a genuine assessment of the installation and what needs doing to make it satisfactory, and is also trustworthy which counts for a hell of a lot these days.
yep i second that..

I know that nothing has been done to the electrics for over 20 years.

I don't think you do know that for sure, to be honest.

"because the cables are all the thick kind it's not that bad "

If (NB *if*) what he means is it's not on the old rubber insulated stuff that perishes, then that is potentially a significant help.

I also know that there won't be any room for negotiation on price as we're getting a decent price already but the seller has made it very clear he won't renegotiate after a survey.

He/she would say that though, wouldn't he? No-one ever says "Yes I am quite happy to be knocked down a few grand if the survey results are adverse".

1. Any way of guessing whether we need a full rewire or just patching things up?
2. Assuming we need a rewire approx what kind of price should we be expecting to pay?
3. And would the price be much lower if we didn't move into the house until the work had been completed, so the house would be retired while unoccupied?
4. Finally, if the cost is say ÂŁ5k do most people get loans or something to pay it all at once? Or do many electricians take credit cards nowadays? We will be quite skirt for a few months after purchasing the house but don't want to wait to get a rewire if the electrics are a safety risk now.

1. No
2. Several grand
3. Probably, also it's best because it's a messy job, floorboards up, digging into the walls (unless you mount on the surface of the walls in conduit), you really don't want a full rewire happening after you've moved in if you can avoid it.
4. Depends on individual circumstances. I take cards, not that I'm offering.
By the way, my wonderful uncle, sadly passed away a few years ago now, was a very talented electrician who tookmhis work very seriously and I have a lot of respect for your profession.

Awwww.

Ye Gods, a bit of skirt and there’s seven post by one person to answer a couple of questions.

I'm in Formby, busy for the next 6-8 weeks, If you do go for a rewire ( and use Tel ) Id be happy help Tel out for a few days if needed.

Ye Gods, a bit of skirt and there’s seven post by one person to answer a couple of questions.

Think he missed out on the last one so hes getting in early doors this time ......

Irrespective of it needing a rewire consider how many and where you would like any sockets. If it was installed over 20 years ago there are unlikely to be enough sockets for today’s profusion of appliances and wall warts.

To make it cheaper and easier get all the plumbing and electrics done before you move in. It is much easier. Says me having just finished one (24 additional sockets amongst other stuff) where the plasterer arrived to do his bit before I had finished doing the chases, the furniture arrived before I had finished and the carpets were due the day after I started. We got the carpet layers put back!

Which is a good job Glenn because with the age of some of our members they could be in real trouble/ you know who you are I will let you come forward as you see fit.

Careful now!!! :angry_smile:

I have sent telectrix a PM, very lad to have the contact. Thanks again, also the delay in my replies is because all my posts have to be approved by a moderator.

Buy the moderator beer and your posts will fly through. ;)

I know. They haven't been the same since Harness69 and her pink fluffy handcuffs defected to the Scaffolders' Forum.

Love that,,,, cables are thick enough ,, imagin that on an EICR , cables are thick enough , Tick, sorry dont mean to take the mick , just amused me , little mind ,,

Careful now!!! :angry_smile:

I'd come and give you a hand, problem is my bus pass won't work where you are, and don't know how the site manager would cope with my zimmer frame it's not high vis

Reply to Rewire 5 bed house in Southport - unoccupied or occupied? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net