Discuss Ring final routing in loft conversion in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good evening All. Maintenance electrician here moving into domestic installations.
What I'm still struggling with is the ring finals routing, especially in loft conversions.
I am wiring one at the moment. Can you please have a look at the diagram below. Apologies it's very basic and rooms are out of proportion but should hopefully make sense.
I have marked the socket-outlets with "stars", I initially wanted to run the ring all the way around the house in the eaves (very large on left and right side of the building and narrow on the longer edges).
However, there is a balcony door and I would either have to run the cable in the eave overhung or drill through structural beam. I've decided to wire to the last socket and go back to the origin across the room.
I also run the cable across the smaller room to bypass boiler and pipes. Cable will not be burried in the insulation. Any advise on how you would tackle this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, the owner asked me to re-wire the bottom floor. He would like to fit modern ligts without ceiling rose. It's an old building with rendered walls and I don't want to do loops in the switches to minimize mess when chasing walls. Can I use MF Wago boxes and do all the terminations in the ceiling?

Attachments

• Ring final routing in loft conversion Corfe Mullen.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    Corfe Mullen.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 26
Without actually seeing the property its hard to give definitive answers.

You can run the cables anywhere you want as long as they are within zones, are not in locations where there is a risk of damage, are not adjacent to other services, and don’t compromise the integrity of the building.

The routing in the diagram seems fine To me.

advice on how to do this. I’m afraid you just have to lift the floor boards and do it. If you have to drill through joists to achieve this, make sure the holes are in the correct locations and sizes and distances.

as for the light connections in wago junction boxes. I would not do this. If you do, make sure the j/bs are accessible.

if your customer wants work done then he has to accept there will be damage to the fabric of the building in order to run cables.

Without actually seeing the property its hard to give definitive answers.

as for the light connections in wago junction boxes. I would not do this. If you do, make sure the j/bs are accessible.
I've not really looked into it.....but aren't the wago connections maintenance free, pete?

I've not really looked into it.....but aren't the wago connections maintenance free, pete?
Some are and some are not...have to make sure you use the correct box marked MF and not a lighting one that is not MF...also have to use the correct wago connectors for the box as you cant just use any type

Thank you both for your inputs. How would you feel about large junction boxes fitted in the eaves and running all cables to lights and switches from there? This would be easily accessible for inspections.

How would you feel about large junction boxes fitted in the eaves and running all cables to lights and switches from there? This would be easily accessible for inspections.
If it's a single switch and one light in the centre of the room type of property, then it's rather pointless, but for anything more complex, involving multi gang switches and multiple lights in a room, this has been my preferred way of wiring lighting circuits for several years, placing the box in an easily accessible position.
Write its function onto every cable, in pen, just outside of the large junction box, and identify which MCB feeds it on the lid of the box in permanent marker.

may not be MF then
Tell you the truth, I feel that the thousands, of Ashley J401, 301, 201's that I've installed, PROPERLY AND WELL, over decades, are perfectly suitable for installation as 'maintenance free'.
The reason for the whole MF 'thing' is because of stupid, sub standard, so called electricians OR diy experts ferking up the installation of them.

Last edited:

Reply to Ring final routing in loft conversion in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock