Discuss Short circuit bypasses mcb and trips submain mcb in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good evening

A cable was loose in a ceiling void causing a short circuit this didn't trip the 10 amp 6ka type b mcb but tripped the 50 amp type b 6ka mcb that supplied that board back at the mains.

I am wondering why this occurred other than me thinking the local protection isn't very sensitive or
Functioning efficiently.

Cheers for any responses

Last edited:
Mcbs or rcbos will not discriminate from each other at high currents, once you get into the instantaneous section of the trip characteristic.

The let through from the downstream rcbo/mcb is almost always more than the pre-arcing i2t required for the upstream rcbo/mcb

The same is true for rcd/rcbo in terms of earth fault current

Good evening

A cable was loose in a ceiling void causing a short circuit this didn't trip the 10 amp 6ka type b mcb but tripped the 50 amp type b 6ka mcb that supplied that board back at the mains.

I am wondering why this occurred other than me thinking the local protection isn't very sensitive or
Functioning efficiently.

Cheers for any responses

It's pot luck which one will go first when you put standard mcbs from 6A to 63A in series with each other.
This is why submains should be protected by either fuses or MCCBs which have been properly selected.

once you get into the instantaneous section of the trip characteristic.
This does make me wonder if another load on the sub-main
took up mechanical free-play in the magnetic part... giving it a time advantage !
(vs free play allowing more velocity in local one )

(- or are we heading into physics of coil size-)
( -Smaller in higher current==Less inductance to overcome peak Current)

Julie has it spot-on.

If you need discrimination for MCB then the up-stream one has to have some additional delay (as for the type-S RCD) otherwise a high fault current can trip whichever is quickest (or both).

With a fuse & MCB you can sometimes find that for increasing fault currents you get:
  1. Small overload, few seconds then fuse trips before higher rated MCB
  2. Medium current, MCB instantaneous trip goes before the fuse
  3. High overload, fuse blows before the few milliseconds for the MCB trip

Reply to Short circuit bypasses mcb and trips submain mcb in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock