Discuss Smart Switch without Earth Terminal in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

ej3108

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I've bought a "yagusmart" smart switch from Amazon and it has no earth terminal. Although there are no metal facing parts I would think the device itself still needs an earth? Or if not, where do I put the earth cable? It is a plastic back box with no earth terminal.

There is no indication the switch is double insulated, i.e. no symbol.

I chose the switch after much deliberation and this one had thousands of reviews but after receiving it, I'm not assured by the packaging and lack of any details at all about the manufacturer, other than it's made in China. If anyone can recommend an alternative from a "proper" shop I'd be open to changing it. It needs to have a physical switch too and not require a hub. They seem to be quite hard to buy unless using unknown brands off Amazon.

Thanks

Regular plastic switches don’t come with an earth connection, nor come with the “double insulated” symbol… because, well, they’re not double insulated.
Maybe designed the same way

Can you post a photo of the rear of this smart switch?

Regular plastic switches don’t come with an earth connection, nor come with the “double insulated” symbol… because, well, they’re not double insulated.
Maybe designed the same way

Can you post a photo of the rear of this smart switch?

Good point but then regular plastic switches aren't permanently running a wireless network module inside. It just seems odd not to have an earth, but maybe not?

This link on photo 3 shows the rear (I have a one gang version and off Amazon but looks the same).

Reply to Smart Switch without Earth Terminal in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net