Discuss sockets wired in 1.0mm 3 core flex in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Is it me or are there no de-rating factors for flex, or have I gone blind...

Is the stuff not designed to be free in air and only have some minor weight bearing capability for supporting lamp holders etc...

Or am I talking complete bollox...

Table 4D2A prehaps, and also taking section 2.4 in appendix 4 into account?? Not too sure. Guess a lot depends on the max working temp of the pvc insulation used.

Wouldn't the fact that there's no derating figures for different installation methods mean you can't use flex as installation cable?
I'm not sure about 'rating factors' but the good book gives maximum current allowances for certain reference methods. Table 4D2A (thermoplastic insulated and thermoplastic sheathed) in the red book I believe?
From that, max 11A for a radial.
The way I see it, flex is similar to 'pre-wired conduit' and is technically acceptable provided you make allowances for things like putting ferrules on the ends of the cables.
On boats we use H07 flex for all the AC stuff, including sockets.

Why don't you rewire what you have quoted for and note down of this 3core on kitchen ring in the farce box on your cert after all if customer doesn't want it changing you can't force the situation leave it alone

It could always be that this guy is a DIY'er, has wired his kitchen in what he had in the shed, and has since realised (or been told) that he's made a mistake.
He now wants solutions to the problem which won't involve him removing the tiles, and all he has been told on here is that it needs redoing!
Remember guys, we don't know anything about anyone who posts on here. It's only after a while that we begin to get a picture of who is actually qualified.

02db4ef9-a61f-c30e.jpg

I had a job recently where the hole kitchen ring (7 sockets) was wired in 1.5mm and cable covered in plaster and tile adhesive going off on all different directions up the wall

Nice bit of skirting board on the kitchen worktop, lovely
After the initial WTF looking at the wiring I spent 5 minutes asking myself why there is skirting board on the worktop? :)

I see the OP'S not been back after several pages of postings.

Nice bit of skirting board on the kitchen worktop, lovely
with lighting cable on the sockets and skirting on the worktop do you think the kitchen drawing was scaled wrong ? easy mistake to make.

TBH over the years i think i've come across the use of smaller cables being used the most incorrectly, perhaps if the sheds only sold 2.5 and up and done away with the smaller sizes may half the amount of bodges they do.

with lighting cable on the sockets and skirting on the worktop do you think the kitchen drawing was scaled wrong ? easy mistake to make.

TBH over the years i think i've come across the use of smaller cables being used the most incorrectly, perhaps if the sheds only sold 2.5 and up and done away with the smaller sizes may half the amount of bodges they do.

Maybe the shed only had 2.5mm T&E in stock, which is why the installer went for the 1mm flex :)

Just realised that no one has queried that the flex actually is 1mm².

Has the OP, perhaps, made another mistake and got this wrong too?

You might like to point your customer in the direction of trading standards....this sounds like a right old bag of spanners. Electrically speaking I'd leave well alone, tell the customer WHY (if needs be give the phone number for BCO, always a good 'I know what I'm on about' tool) and let them get on with suing someone whilst you do the rest of the job.

The story does not say exactly who carried out the work other than it was wired so surely it must have been the owner.
I would think most people that have had a job done incorrectly would want their head on a stick and it corrected FOC but it seems they want it brushed under the carpet reading between the lines, more so as there has been no response from the OP.
There has been loads of regs thrown about trying to justify leaving this flex in place which we all know should not be done, even the OP knows it deep down, hence his asking. de-rating the circuit is no more than polishing a T##d.

Reply to sockets wired in 1.0mm 3 core flex in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net