Currently reading:
solar pv electric shock

Discuss solar pv electric shock in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkybob1

I have installed a 4kw solar array. The customer says they are getting an electric shock from the tin roof that the panels are mounted on. I have been back twice and retested the strings, the ac, and checked the connections. Both times I couldn't find anything wrong but the customer is certain it is electric shock! Has anyone had this problem before?

I have installed a 4kw solar array. The customer says they are getting an electric shock from the tin roof that the panels are mounted on. I have been back twice and retested the strings, the ac, and checked the connections. Both times I couldn't find anything wrong but the customer is certain it is electric shock! Has anyone had this problem before?

most likely static, people complain about anything and everything but nothing you can do about it because its discharging from them to the roof.

remember solar panels are dc so would sting. do you think they would leave it if it was a problem with the string?

No earth bonding to the tin roof, would this sort any issues? is it possibly a static build up?

because you tested and no faults, to me it seems that there getting a static discharge from themselfs to the roof (least resistance)

if there is no bonding then it can only be going from them to the roof as electricity takes the easiest route.

capacitance - look it up, SMA do a good technical briefing on it.

Have you tested continuity from rails to MET? Fair chance with a metal roof covering that there's continuity there, in which case...bonding as per MCS guidance.

I'm assuming it's a TL inverter - this is pretty normal stuff, just amplified due to the conductivity of the roof covering which makes the capacitance worse. Just instruct the customer to turn off the DC isolator before accessing the roof. The leakage currents shouldn't be anything like strong enough to cause anything other than a mild tingle, the danger really resides in the potential for this to cause someone to fall of a ladder and hurt themselves that way.

Hi

it may be a bit more serious than falling off a ladder if this is an agricultural environment with livestock involved as they are more sensitive than humans due to having 4 points of contact with earth.
just a thought.

if you've got cows on your tin roof then you've got bigger problems to worry about than them getting a bit of a tingle off the panels ;)

yes well there,s always One with cows on his roof isn,t there

if you have a metal roof there's a good chance it has metal supports hence Your cows can become another path to earth
but as you say if your keeping your cows on the roof then its not a problem ( Faraday cage effect )

yes well there,s always One with cows on his roof isn,t there

if you have a metal roof there's a good chance it has metal supports hence Your cows can become another path to earth
but as you say if your keeping your cows on the roof then its not a problem ( Faraday cage effect )
metal framed buildings are usually incredibly well earthed via their metal legs IME.

So, would the cows that had not learnt to stay away from said roof be standing on a different ground to the one that the building is sitting on, it is still a 9 month old thread.....

Guess we will never know as that was the last post that Sparkybob1 (the op) has ever written,
Maybe he had a shock, fell off his ladder and got stampeded by electrically charged cattle, as I keep saying this thread is 9 months old :vanish:

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess we will never know as that was the last post that Sparkybob1 (the op) has ever written,
Maybe he had a shock, fell off his ladder and got stampeded by electrically charged cattle, as I keep saying this thread is 9 months old :vanish:

so you keep saying

it been quite a while since I have posted on here & was getting a nag screen saying I should post to get rid of it.
I responded to that post as I was reading posts on PV systems & problems & had not looked at how old it was
however it did have the desired affect. plus the bonus of exchanging banter with you guys
and wish you & your solar powered roof cows well.

Reply to solar pv electric shock in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back