Search the forum,

Discuss Some pics from a FULL rewire. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

apologies for hi-jacking the thread but why is it that the far simpler gas safe register works so much better and at a fraction of the annual fee? and just to digrees, i found this "Plumbers Guide To The Building Regulations" under some floorboards last week.

home-page-heroes.gif

A few TV programs describing the contractor comes to mind Bonanza, Rawhide, Lone ranger to name a few, they want reporting to trading Standards, NICEIC and as already said Dominic Littlewood on Cowboy Builders.

I am confident that, having seen these photos, the NICEIC will fully investigate this matter and ultimately remove this so-called electrician from their membership. There is no way that any professional organisation would allow work of this dangerous standard to be associated with their name.

I am confident that, having seen these photos, the NICEIC will fully investigate this matter and ultimately remove this so-called electrician from their membership. There is no way that any professional organisation would allow work of this dangerous standard to be associated with their name.

Do I detect a slight air of sarcasm here ..... or are you really that optimistic?? ;)

Your saying that a register of electricians with a boat load of qualifications hanging out their back pocket would stop this happening, it won't.

He probably has all them. Too many people on here when they see this type of work are quick to jump in and say its the polish lot or the Electrical Trainee brigade when the fact is I see this type of work from time served highly qualified electricians who for whatever reason don't give a ---- anymore.

Don't blame a building regulation and the introduction of schemes for this, nor should you seek it's abolishment to make things right.

This has been going on for years and its only now via the Internet and camera phone technology that people are able to share it with the big bad world.

I didn't say it wasn't bad and I didn't say that the NICEIC are interested. I was making the point that your idea that a register where only the ones with the most quals gets in wont solve it.
strange....i cant recall saying anything about who had the most quals...
now, minimum entry requirements....thats another matter..
but i suppose you just think that sitting an online guess (open book) 2382....and a £460 wad cuts it......
well, it dont to me....i can tell you that now....its an outrage....

Your saying that a register of electricians with a boat load of qualifications hanging out their back pocket would stop this happening, it won't.

He probably has all them. Too many people on here when they see this type of work are quick to jump in and say its the polish lot or the Electrical Trainee brigade when the fact is I see this type of work from time served highly qualified electricians who for whatever reason don't give a ---- anymore.

Don't blame a building regulation and the introduction of schemes for this, nor should you seek it's abolishment to make things right.

This has been going on for years and its only now via the Internet and camera phone technology that people are able to share it with the big bad world.

I didn't say it wasn't bad and I didn't say that the NICEIC are interested. I was making the point that your idea that a register where only the ones with the most quals gets in wont solve it.

It WILL if it has the teeth to deal with such offenders. Just like they do in other countries, that have a National Registration system. You start with a foundation for entry purposes, electrical qualifications fulfill that basic foundation, without them you're lost and on a hiding to nothing before you even start!!

Yes you're right, there have always been qualified rogue electricians, ...in a way they are worse than the electrical trainee's, because they will KNOW they are doing crap work!! These characters will also be hit hard by any deregistering from a National Register, because the rule will be, that you will not be allowed to perform any paid electrical work, nor operate as a self employed sole trader, or be employed as an electrician without that registration being in place!!

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the NICEIC mans office when he reads this thread.

He probably thinks we are a few old wingers - but the truth is that most of these desk "jockeys" haven't been to the coal face in such a long time they have no reality to whats going on.

So schemes, rather than spending you time going on about fusing fans down to 3A, spend MORE of your time visiting sites and following up on the reports you get.

Bottom line, scams, or no scams, there is nothing to stop shoddy work.

If the scams were seen to inspect, intervene and uphold best practice etc, etc, then the slide downhill may stop.
i will agree with that Murdoch.....so, why have the scams?....
if emptyheads are going to just sling it in anyway..rough as you like with a host of non-conformances to go with it.....
and the scams arn`t interested....then why have the scams?....not needed as i see it...
now, a national register of electricians....
and i`m not on about that electricsafe thing either.....another kneejerk reaction..

It WILL if it has the teeth to deal with such offenders. Just like they do in other countries, that have a National Registration system. You start with a foundation for entry purposes, electrical qualifications fulfill that basic foundation, without them you're lost and on a hiding to nothing before you even start!!

Yes you're right, there have always been qualified rogue electricians, ...in a way they are worse than the electrical trainee's, because they will KNOW they are doing crap work!! These characters will also be hit hard by any deregistering from a National Register, because the rule will be, that you will not be allowed to perform any paid electrical work, nor operate as a self employed sole trader, or be employed as an electrician without that registration being in place!!
eng its clear.....
he admires it all underneath....

After reading this thread the other night without seeing the pictures. If I was the op I would get rouge traders involved the client has been ripped off big time.

Too many people on here when they see this type of work are quick to jump in and say its the polish lot or the Electrical Trainee brigade when the fact is I see this type of work from time served highly qualified electricians who for whatever reason don't give a ---- anymore.

I think you have a very valid point. Anything, not just electrics, installed to those appalling kind of standards have very little to do with how long the guy trained or what technical qualification he has. Work such as that only says to me that the person who installed it has a fundamental character problem. He has no pride in his work and no pride in himself as a person. As you so rightly said above he simply just 'doesn't give a ----' about the work or the fact the he left an unsuspecting paying customer who trusted him with a dangerous house or even that his action are a reflection on him as a person. No amount of training is going to change that. No amount of policing the industry is going to change him. You can't blame the industry, you can't blame the schemes and you can't blame the government for what that guy is, bottom line is he's a rubbish who's better off on the dole where others don't have to suffer because of his lack of character.

I have been invited to a meeting with the NICEIC next week - they must of missed me!

Basically, I have reported numerous contractors to them with regards to the incompetence of their work.

The NICEIC only currently name and shame those parading around claiming to be registered, but are not.

So I have created a 'checkatrade' style website filled with companies doing work like in this thread yet they are all exclusively registered as domestic installers.

I sent it to the NICEIC before I host it to see if they would offer it their endorsement.

I am actually in the middle of coding a more serious website designed for homeowners offering electrical safety advise, very similar to the ESC.
But mine will not be recommending the competent person schemes and be arguing the benefits of the good old fashioned referral and reference method.
These registers of competent people are worthless!

@NICEIC Engineer Would you take a look at a thread titled 18 days to become qualified and give us your opinion please. YOUR opinion, not the party line please

I think you have a very valid point. Anything, not just electrics, installed to those appalling kind of standards have very little to do with how long the guy trained or what technical qualification he has. Work such as that only says to me that the person who installed it has a fundamental character problem. He has no pride in his work and no pride in himself as a person. As you so rightly said above he simply just 'doesn't give a ----' about the work or the fact the he left an unsuspecting paying customer who trusted him with a dangerous house or even that his action are a reflection on him as a person. No amount of training is going to change that. No amount of policing the industry is going to change him. You can't blame the industry, you can't blame the schemes and you can't blame the government for what that guy is, bottom line is he's a rubbish who's better off on the dole where others don't have to suffer because of his lack of character.

The point for me though is not that the guy exists,we all know he does...it's the fact that the NICEIC see fit to approve him,which when I started out they would never have done.

Don't hold your breath!
I know mate, I liken it to an old style communist state where no one dares to contradict the official party line. When a training centre set up their stall on youtube I asked them if they would be prepared to have any of their trainees working in their homes. You should have seen the response, Stalin would have been proud.

Reply to Some pics from a FULL rewire. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock