Discuss started a job before the 17th came out etc in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparkyork

hey all ive got this job that was started before the 17th came out, installed some downlights (1st fix) and the customer has just got back from a long break, can i still fit these downlighs (2nd fix) to the 16th??

yeah lol! i tried convincing em to have a board fitted a again its one of these old earth leakage devices protecting the main switch on a tt system.

do i need to make a not of this or just fit me lights as normal and forget about this??

all main bonding is "a" ok too

yeah lol! i tried convincing em to have a board fitted a again its one of these old earth leakage devices protecting the main switch on a tt system.

do i need to make a not of this or just fit me lights as normal and forget about this??

all main bonding is "a" ok too

depends, if its a current operated ELCB, the nideally it would be changed

However its a VOELCB (voltage operated), as far as i aware it HAS to come out.

Either way, they are often as high as 500mA, so will not provide any appreciable shock protection:rolleyes:

how can i find out this info as there's never that much written on them??

and what would i put in? a 100ma device? and is this inline with 16th regs!!

Look in the back end of the part P document, there is info there on VOELCB's

But if the unit has 2x links to earth (1 at top & 1 at bottom) odds on it'll be a VOELCB, they are to be binned/replaced because parralell paths to earth renders them inoperative. They were banned because of the advent of sup & equi bonding back in the early 80's so I was told.

cheers easy will check it out, you mean approved document P?

what are the ones that have both earth connection at the bottom are they the other variant?

and whats best to replace them with, a double pole rccb or ??

and what would i put in? a 100ma device? and is this inline with 16th regs!!

Whats the earthing system ....TT?
Is the cu the old 3036 type?

If so 100m stype rcd to replace the voelcb & slap a remote 30mA rcd(s) to cover socket circuits.

yeah its a tt and 3871's, 10mm main earth bonding.

so just to clarify then its good practice to get shut of these devices in favour of better ones, so is this as impoartant as say checking the main bonding as well?

the works are to the 16th so do i still need to upgrade to 30ma? i must admit it gets a bit confusing, all i was doing was some downlights and ive not gotta upgrade the protection on the socket circuits??

im all for safety but where do you draw the line on things? in this situation!?

Sorry I got carried away & forgot it was the lights you were working on.

Just put in the 100mA rcd (personally I'd go s type but thats upto you), then note on cert no 30mA on sockets, might be advisable to put a recommendation letter advising lack of 30 mA rcd is a bad thing in with the cert to the customer.

so just to clarify then its good practice to get shut of these devices in favour of better ones, so is this as impoartant as say checking the main bonding as well?

yep, because they will not operate as intended due to paralell earths via bonding.

cheers easy feel a bit better now! ill get hold of a 100ma s type (time delay?)
and like you say will add note and do a letter aswell.

its a whole new ball game been self employed! before it was someone telling me get rid of this and do that!

never seem to get chance to relax, i guess its only early days but its just work work work!!

Starting on your own is hard but the thing to remember is "who's benefitting from all this work, work, work,"?

The answer is YOU. Stick with it Rich, the main thing is to keep smiling. :D

Reply to started a job before the 17th came out etc in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock