Discuss Storage Heaters - RCD Required? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Dan924

Hi all
As storage heaters are on a dedicated restricted single use circuit, do we need to use rcd/rcbo protection, I can't seem to find any guidance?
My gut feeling would be no as the sudden power serge could cause unwanted tripping, I would be interested in other opinions thanks:confused:
Or a pointer in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the cables are less than 50mm in the wall etc etc, then yes, they should be RCD protected.

There is nothing about a storage heater that would cause unwanted tripping, unless there is a fault somewhere.

No different from 'normal' circuits.

That was a lucky guess! as they are all on external walls which have been clad with 50mm thermal board :eek:
Experience is a wonderful thing when you do things correct without knowing why.

Cheers for the repose

Hi Dan924

shame on you wattsup mocking.. Dan as Jason6930 said you need RCD protection if the cables are concealed, you also need to evaluate the earth leakage from storage heaters, this could cause problems if you use a main RCD and individual CB's for your circuits. RCBO are good if your cables are concealed. If you only want to install a few heaters you could use a main RCD, but if you get a faulty heater you will lose all the heat for the property. With storage heaters that could be up to 24 hours without heat?

Regards

I think in this situation, although expensive, i would use RCBO's.

As electro said, one fault on a main switch RCD would take out ALL the heating.

i dont see the problem with them all being protected by one rcd? sure if one developed an earth fault ,then they would all go off, but is this a major inconvenience? turn all cbs off, reset rcd turn on one at a time etc,
how often is this likely to happen in the life of an installation?

i dont see the problem with them all being protected by one rcd? sure if one developed an earth fault ,then they would all go off, but is this a major inconvenience? turn all cbs off, reset rcd turn on one at a time etc,

Absolutely, but if there is a fault and the RCD trips, this would normally happen at night and so would wake up to a cold house!

If there is an elderly person living there then i think this becomes more relevant using RCBO's.

Thats my take on it.:)

Then again, im still trying to think of what could go to earth in a storage heater through fault?

Jason's right about a cold house, also during the day there would be no supply to the board so the faulty circuit could not be found this way.

i just think things have gone too far, that elderly person has t coff up maybe an extra £240 on top for rcbos on circuits that are most unlikely to ever develop an earth fault, with that scenario i think id tell the oldie to save their money for the leccy bill!

Gotta be honest i agree with you there, but if a CU for N/S is being replaced, it more than likely has to have the circuits RCD protected one way or another, and the circuits should be organised so that inconvenience is kept to a minimum.

I have just replaced an old N/S heater CU with one that has an RCD main switch, but this was in commercial.

Residential of course is a different matter.

How would anyone else approach this in a domestic situation?

its 'conveniance' thats open to debate, i interprete that as, 1 fault dosnt take out all the lights, all the power, water heating, shower, cooker,so you divide up the circuits so that upstairs lights are on one rcd downstairs another, and so on. so assuming a 17th board for standard circuits and an rcd board for ns heaters, thats 3 seperate rcd protected groups........how far do you go, personally i find 'selling' all this extra kit and bonding upgrades to clients hard enough as it is.

Hi

You could always install totally surface then you don't need RCD's and it will reduce a lot on labour and materials charges. I'm afraid, times have changed and more thought is required in modern day installations. You should always give the customer the options there's plus and minus with each of them.
regards

ive spent a lot of time reparing storage heaters and ive known the wire element type heater blow and short to earth (dead short 0M ohm live to earth).
ive also come across tennants tampering with them to get compo claims off council, but thats another story!!!!!!!

Jason's right about a cold house, also during the day there would be no supply to the board so the faulty circuit could not be found this way.
if you talking about off peak you can over ride the radio teleswitch or even wire a temporary supply from mains board which is usually next to board for oph.

havnt come across those yet. something to bear in mind next time i have the cover off one, with no isolator fitted, i usually pull service fuse, disconnect tails, and rig temps for testing .safest way i can think of.

Reply to Storage Heaters - RCD Required? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock