Search the forum,

Discuss sub meters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

ianbrookes

I have a job where a house is being converted to 5 flats.

the house has a three phase supply and a single meter.

The customer wants to have a meter per flat and another common one - for shared areas.

anyone done this before ? is it a DNO activity ?

If he/she wants each of the 5 flats on separate bills then they'll need to speak to their supplier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a job where a house is being converted to 5 flats.

the house has a three phase supply and a single meter.

The customer wants to have a meter per flat and another common one - for shared areas.

anyone done this before ? is it a DNO activity ?

It would be a nightmare for owner if you put in just check meters. Would definitely go down the DNO route, but likely to cost big bucks.

As above, the last job of this type I was involved with I had to wait 12 weeks to get started whilst waiting for DNO to install meters. They faffed around for ages, and yes it cost a fortune. I just didn't get involved until they'd finished.

You could Suggest they have key meters so they pay for there own electric

Only trouble with that sedgy is that if they are private key meters, the owner of the flats is the only one that can supply the keys.

Imagine scenario:- 11.30 Saturday night, run out of electricity, tenant rings up landlord, Probably lives 10 miles away. Can you top up my key? With 5 flats this could be a weekly occurrence!

Only trouble with that sedgy is that if they are private key meters, the owner of the flats is the only one that can supply the keys.

Imagine scenario:- 11.30 Saturday night, run out of electricity, tenant rings up landlord, Probably lives 10 miles away. Can you top up my key? With 5 flats this could be a weekly occurrence!

HEY T C
good point i didnt think of that one

With credit meters then the job can be done at a reasonable price, but with pre-payment the DNO needs to be involved. Having to track the landlord down to top up the cards will degenerate in to chaos.
It’s no contest really.

You can get metering systems that tenants can topup online and the credit is applied to their smart meter- via mobile phone gprs

They can top up via voucher aswell if the system allows

I would suggest all the properties go down the seperate supply from the DNO route- less hassle

Reply to sub meters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back