Discuss suspended ceilings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

crabapple

when wiring lighting for suspended ceiling, is i ok to just chuck the cable over the top or does some other measure have to be taken(i mean i could use baskets, but on slim budget)

Cables are not to be laid across the suspended ceiling but if on a budget you can just hang loops from original ceiling to run all your cables in (grouping factors in mind), insulated allround band is usually the quickest method, but all depends n the job/contract to the way you suspend your cables this method wouldn't be appropriate on a new build complex where tray or basket may be requested.
To my mind their is only one cable that has been granted as an exception to the rule and its supplied with the automated thorlux fittings to loop the fittings together (plug and socket kits) this flex has been designed to resist the sharp edges etc of the grid without adding a weight issue to the grid.

so i defo have to use band and ties

(always have in the past)

i was told nver to leaave cable to suspended ceiling, but seeing many a job thought i was just being overzealous

dont think it was brought in until the 16th regs, before that it was common practice to run them over the ceiling, even did it myself in my early yrs :eek:mg_smile: but more so to do with the lax methods the company i was with.

What about in domestic, on a normal plasterboard ceiling? It's common to find cables laying on top of the ceiling, and also junction boxes.

should really be in conduit then onto short run basket, or if mcurdy boxes should be conduit to mcurdy then the flex to the back of the fitting...
You say 'should be' but provide no ref' regulation to confirm this, as far as reg's goes they are not to be run across grid ceilings, the method you choose to achieve this is at your own discretion, will agree you method you suggest adds that pro' finish but when money is on a shoe-string their is nothing wrong with just running the cables around in a 'all round band' loop system.

What about in domestic, on a normal plasterboard ceiling? It's common to find cables laying on top of the ceiling, and also junction boxes.

This thread is about Ceiling Grids which are metal, unearthed and sharp edges and pose extra hazards, you domestic situe is common to find and the risks associated are minimal, if someone was to screw up through the plasterboard it would normally be into a joist anyway.

Last small office i did, had conduit run around the perimeter above the suspended ceiling, then used Klik roses off conduit boxes out to each fitting.

Also another small budget, hence why supporting basket or similar from the main roof of the unit. The office was on a mezanene floor

There was recently an inquest into the tragic death of two fire fighters in Shirley Towers Southampton. One of the contributing factors was cables hanging down from a suspended ceiling after it collapsed. There were calls for the cables to be secured in flame proof trunking but lord knows when or if this would filter through to the Regs. There was a photo of the cables and the blackened shell of the flats ( but can't find it) and it wasn't difficult to see that this would be a problem in all that smoke and heat. At least if they are secured with something flame proof they would at least stay up and out of the way.

Philpot

There was recently an inquest into the tragic death of two fire fighters in Shirley Towers Southampton. One of the contributing factors was cables hanging down from a suspended ceiling after it collapsed. There were calls for the cables to be secured in flame proof trunking but lord knows when or if this would filter through to the Regs. There was a photo of the cables and the blackened shell of the flats ( but can't find it) and it wasn't difficult to see that this would be a problem in all that smoke and heat. At least if they are secured with something flame proof they would at least stay up and out of the way.

Philpot

Damn right,
Who'd want to be a firefighter walking into a dense jungle of burning cable?

It has been common practice for years now to secure cables onto trays/baskets with metal cable ties as well as the normal plastic ones. This is to ensure they dont all come cascading down when the heat melts the plastic cable ties.
Also all light fittings should be secured to the ceiling with jack chains or gripple wire, so they dont fall down also when the ceiling grid distorts due to the heat generated in a fire.
For these reasons, I would say, cables should be secured to the slab above the ceiling somehow, be it in containment or all round band, as the above have suggested.

Reply to suspended ceilings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock