Currently reading:
SWA as tails

Discuss SWA as tails in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sbelec

Hi,
Thoughts please. The service supply has been moved, about 50m, and is now in a steel box with cut-out, meter and electrical supply company isolator (they always fit isolators in the NW). My distribution board is 20m away so have fitted a second box, albeit round a corner and less than 2m away, for a fused switched isolator as the supply company would neither fit a fused type or wire into one I fitted!

SWA from distribution comes across the wall through steel wall of box and is connected onto steel fused isolator, supply to the isolator likewise is terminated on the steel fused isolator passes through wall of steel box. Down to floor level, round corner and into the "supply"box.

Now here is my dilemma, the SWA is terminated onto the steel box and my tails then connect into the consumers side of the isolator. Obviously the tails, now out of the steel and divided into L-N-E are covered with insulation only and not "sleeved" and insulated.
On one hand this is fine the insulation is enclosed totally within the enclosure.
On the other hand the enclosure can be opened with a simple key rather than a tool, do I sleeve with heat shrink or other sleeve to recreate "sleeve" over insulation?

Now I can see many of the other questions why 3 core, swa as earth - matter of opinion and my preference. Why round a corner - because that was the way it went in, had I got my way 2 boxes would be side by side for short length of pipe between 2 and standard tails. Basically it is what it is and the job has been going on 6 months with the DNO trying, at one stage, to connect to a dead street supply!

Many thanks for your thoughts, but going this morning too start connecting.

Yes a double layer of decent heat-shrink is a very good idea to sheath the cores of the SWA (not necessary for the earth obviously but would look better).
The meter cabinet is intended to be accessed by ordinary persons to read their meter so I wouldn't consider it to be an electrical enclosure in the usual sense (but this is my opinion, not something I could support with a reg number)

Reply to SWA as tails in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock