Discuss The big difference in the electric terminology and installation regulations and practice in each country! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Remember rewiring some accommodation wi th Staff members from my maintenance gang 2 Sparkies, truing to teach them the 3 plate wiring system was a bit of a chore, they got it in the end, happy days, something and some names I will never forget, happy days. like to think I left my mark, well maybe.
Had to supply Boris the Sparky with UK accessories, wondered why the number of switches and sockets was getting out of control, till I was invited for Dinner and Vodka (lots of Vodka) one day at the Russian Foreman's Gaff, MK stuff everywhere, you have to laugh.

I worked for a time on the Falklands, job wise power 24/7 so as UK, but on the camp (countryside) farms only had power so many hours a day, two slots, a morning one to bring freezers down to temperature and allow use of vacuum cleaner etc. Evening slot again to bring freezer down to temperature and get rid of need for candles which it seems had caused many a house fire.

Smaller farms had auto start generators, that would start when anything switched on, but there was a problem going to toilet at night, so battery banks, and DC lighting was used.

This was 1985 to 1990 no mobile phones, even wired phones were single wire and did not work in wind, or where wires had broken inside the mine field, all coms was really 2 meter ham radio, and these also needed batteries to work.

I am sure now they have phones and even internet, but it was a different world where there was no 24/7 230 volt power.

Another one "MASTER , ELECTRICIAN"

I believe in the US an apprentice becomes a journeyman when he qualifies, then becomes a master electrician once he has enough experience. I think the master electrician is similar to the JIB approved electrician grade.

I believe this mirrors the way trade apprenticeships worked in this country hundreds of years ago.

I believe in the US an apprentice becomes a journeyman when he qualifies, then becomes a master electrician once he has enough experience. I think the master electrician is similar to the JIB approved electrician grade.

I believe this mirrors the way trade apprenticeships worked in this country hundreds of years ago.
I have never worked for a union so we don’t come up thru the union way.electricians in the USA or at least myself I have had some great classes but unfortunately I had to come thru the school of hard knocks or the on the job training. Don’t get me wrong I’ve made a lot of mistakes and blew up some stuff but I learned from my mistakes

Did they had the equivalent of A, B and C certs, then...…. I'll bet you had to go to Harvard or Yale to get the C...:cool: ;)

Now, now Andy78, that's a tad pedantic of you! LOL!
Plus, you ended your sentence with an unnecessary preposition. If we are trying to assist our American friend with the correct terminology for our superior electrical items, we should be careful not to let him think our grammar is inferior...
So, perhaps we should start every sentence with a conjunction, that will really make him feel at home.

No JK...that is not a sentence, Miss MacKenzie at primary school would hit you with a ruler!
Oh...I see the point now!
It's what i go to school for...some members may not get that.
Odd though, that Miss MacKenzie would probably allow the use of a preposition at the end of a sentence, especially as it made her famous!

Oh...ok...

go for it!

No JK...that is not a sentence, Miss MacKenzie at primary school would hit you with a ruler!
Oh...I see the point now!
It's what i go to school for...some members may not get that.
Odd though, that Miss MacKenzie would probably allow the use of a preposition at the end of a sentence, especially as it made her famous!

Thats the trouble with teachers, they think they know best;

https://www.writing-skills.com/hit-or-myth-you-cant-start-a-sentence-with-and-or-but

Googles good ain't it.

call the cover on the motor a peckerhead ... was around 1980
Memorable "slang" names help apprentices keep track of things.
The important bits and the odd occasional tool ,never there (always abandoned somewhere ) or in need of a trip to the van to get 2nd spare.
My sons part apprenticeship , included Silly... for Silicone gun. ( Apologies if that's more of a Wet-pants = Plumber's tool)
-A bit of fun at times to break up the day-
Covers are an important safety item. :)

Last edited:

Reply to The big difference in the electric terminology and installation regulations and practice in each country! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net