Discuss The big difference in the electric terminology and installation regulations and practice in each country! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

This is, should be, and can always be an awesome thread if everybody who contributes to it really well. Less bants (with can be misunderstood) and more facts and sharing of info.

It's connecting (pardon the pun) electricians from various countries and it's nice to see some positive (ha) connections between us all in this weird time of so much disconnection globally in community spirit and whatnot.

Let's try and keep this thread a brilliant one.

It's also when the forum first switched to a global domain. So it's something people can be drawn to and contribute to and feel part of the forum even as a newbie. :)

Welcome to all I say. :D

The concept of a global electrical forum is baffling. It's nice to chat and knock ideas around, but there are so many detail differences in practice that a thread like this is bound to lead to confusion at times and it's quite hard to offer practical advice. Like the enquiry yesterday from a new poster in the US about disconnecting a cable from a meter socket. We don't have meter sockets in the UK and if we did, we wouldn't be allowed to remove cables from them. Sockets, yes, and meters, yes, but meter sockets? To a UK spark, that thread reads like 'What cheese do I put in my car bicycle?'. It's best for the poster to get local advice from someone who services car bicycles and knows which cheese is compatible with which :)

That’s where @Megawatt will come in and hopefully see the post and advice accordingly if the OP was US based. Even though different states differ in code. The rules are still under the NEC, NFPA 70 guidelines

Two of the Americanisms I can’t get my head around. A motor starter is a “bucket”, and a motor terminal box a “pecker head”?????

Where have you heard those? As you know I split my time 20/30/50% between the UK/Germany and the USA. Not heard of those expressions before.

Two of the Americanisms I can’t get my head around. A motor starter is a “bucket”, and a motor terminal box a “pecker head”?????
Hi everyone and yes the OP is local and we can pull meters, and if needed we can take the wires loose on the customer side of the meter and replace if needed. I’ve took the wires on the OP side of the meter or the socket wires hot because the neutral was corroded or not making a good connection ( our neutral is white) and I didn’t have to call the OP to disconnect the power. Yes we call the motor control center which has what we call buckets and yes we call the cover on the motor a peckerhead i don’t know where that slang came from. It’s been called since I’ve been doing electrical work and that was around 1980

Hi everyone and yes the OP is local and we can pull meters, and if needed we can take the wires loose on the customer side of the meter and replace if needed. I’ve took the wires on the OP side of the meter or the socket wires hot because the neutral was corroded or not making a good connection ( our neutral is white) and I didn’t have to call the OP to disconnect the power. Yes we call the motor control center which has what we call buckets and yes we call the cover on the motor a peckerhead i don’t know where that slang came from. It’s been called since I’ve been doing electrical work and that was around 1980
I’m am assuming that y’all call the OP as the power company or inspector

I’m am assuming that y’all call the OP as the power company or inspector
We call the power company a couple of things. We have the DNOs or district network operators, who own and run the distribution network, transformers etc including the cable into each property and the main fuse(s) for that property.
We also have the energy supplier who own and maintain the meter for each property. That's who the householder pays their bills to.

The fuse and meter are sealed and we, as electricians, are not supposed to break these seals or tamper with this equipment.

Here is a map of the UK showing the DNO companies. The energy supplier is whoever the householder chooses.

We call the power company a couple of things. We have the DNOs or district network operators, who own and run the distribution network, transformers etc including the cable into each property and the main fuse(s) for that property.
We also have the energy supplier who own and maintain the meter for each property. That's who the householder pays their bills to.

The fuse and meter are sealed and we, as electricians, are not supposed to break these seals or tamper with this equipment.

Here is a map of the UK showing the DNO companies. The energy supplier is whoever the householder chooses.

Never heard that before Carl, how about " Receptical" for a socket and although being replace "Knob and Tube" "Romex" "MC Cable" "Pliers are "Klein's" and the best one I ever heard "Pony Panel" I'll leave you lot to work that one out.

The concept of a global electrical forum is baffling. It's nice to chat and knock ideas around, but there are so many detail differences in practice that a thread like this is bound to lead to confusion at times and it's quite hard to offer practical advice. Like the enquiry yesterday from a new poster in the US about disconnecting a cable from a meter socket. We don't have meter sockets in the UK and if we did, we wouldn't be allowed to remove cables from them. Sockets, yes, and meters, yes, but meter sockets? To a UK spark, that thread reads like 'What cheese do I put in my car bicycle?'. It's best for the poster to get local advice from someone who services car bicycles and knows which cheese is compatible with which :)
We will cater for all. Don't worry. :)

We have traffic from Russia. Just nobody registered yet from what I can see.
Could be restricted Dan, may sound odd in this day and age but believe it still goes on especially with the older generation, which my Friends belong to. 1984 lives on I'm afraid.

I think you have to realise. most of the post Soviet era Russians are a Savvy lot.
But the Soviet era generation are still scare witless of the tap on the shoulder "Ah come with me Tovarich we need a talk, welcome to Lubiyanka".

Remember rewiring some accommodation wi th Staff members from my maintenance gang 2 Sparkies, truing to teach them the 3 plate wiring system was a bit of a chore, they got it in the end, happy days, something and some names I will never forget, happy days. like to think I left my mark, well maybe.

Reply to The big difference in the electric terminology and installation regulations and practice in each country! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock