Currently reading:
Three phase required?

Discuss Three phase required? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

swifters

Hi all, I have a customer who wants a new kitchen. Previously he has paid for an NICEIC electrician to wire in countless under floor heating throughout his house on one 32amp breaker, I calculated potential 60 amps if they were all on at the same time. He/she has since gone out of business/struck off. He has a 100 amp main incoming fuse and with diversity I calculated 103 amp, so slightly at the cusp anyway, I know diversity factors seem a bit flexible.

However, he now wants his kitchen fitted out like you wouldn't believe, 27000 watts without factoring in the kettle, toaster, washing machine and a few other inevitable bits. Phoned up NAPIT technical support and they at first seemed to think this would be ok on a 100 amp fuse...After stressing my point a bit further they conceded that perhaps a single 100 amp fuse was perhaps a bit iffy for all of the above.

I am thinking suggesting that UK power networks upgrade the supply to three phase.

My questions are;

1. Would people agree with that?
2. Is there a cheaper alternative other than UK power networks?
3. Will the breaking capacity of the existing type b mcbs mean I have to upgrade them all to type c?
4. Any other alternatives? eg. supply another single phase 100 amp fuse for the kitchen?

Cheers in advance.

methinks his customer needs a reality check. ain't he heard of global climate change. he'll have more detrimental effect than the star wars programme.

like cooking, my arse. just wants a load of gadgets to show off to the neighbours

Quite possibly, there is no electric shower in the property. He has a gas boiler. However, it is my understanding that there is no diversity allowable for underfloor heating? Thats what's really concerning me. If his boiler goes down in the depths of winter, he wacks on all the underfloor heating, his wife is cooking christmas dinner in the kitchen and his daughter is blow drying her hair in the bedroom and then bang goes the main fuse. Is there a device that monitors the amps and then cuts the power before the main fuse goes?

Induction hob, double electric oven, steam oven, coffee machine, double oven microwave, and more. think his wife must like cooking.

More likely, it's all just for showing off to family and friends!! A lot of that stuff isn't all going to be on at the same time, even if she does like cooking!! lol!! So tell us more about the under floor heating arrangement??

More likely, it's all just for showing off to family and friends!! A lot of that stuff isn't all going to be on at the same time, even if she does like cooking!! lol!! So tell us more about the under floor heating arrangement??

I can't remember exactly but I know I calculated 60amps. 60 x 240 volts = 14,400 watts. 18 lots of 800watts I think. It is a big house. Plus he wants it in the kitchen now too!

Reply to Three phase required? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock