Discuss Trunking mess - where to start! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
It's not that often I stare stupidly at something for 5 minutes and can't work out where to start, but....

Trunking mess - where to start! 1637251787829 - EletriciansForums.net

The horizontal and lower vertical trunking aren't actually connected together or bonded. The upper vertical is cable tied to some SWA and flaps in the wind.
Singles are nicely tensioned against that edge with the weight of the upper trunking on them.
The horizonal trunking points upwards, has no drain holes or lid and has 5mm of water sitting in it simply from condensation I think.
Missing stop/reset button on door control leaving a 230v live part right behind it. Etc...

My original gut reaction was to rip out trunking and start again. But I might be being a drama queen.
I guess I could cut some plate and bolt together the lower vertical and horizontal trunking, or see if the right elbow can be found. (If anyone recognises the trunking style that has distinctive lids that are held on by spring tension alone I'd be happy to learn more!)
There's actually only 3 singles and earth in the upper trunking for the roller shutter door motor, so might lose that and change that to conduit.
That would free up the identical lid from the upper trunking.

Then I guess I need to check if the door control is DOL with reverse or soft starter with reverse and replace accordingly.
My only win so far is that I was able to convince the customer to isolate it until it's repaired.
Any thoughts appreciated!

It's not that often I stare stupidly at something for 5 minutes and can't work out where to start, but....

View attachment 92113

The horizontal and lower vertical trunking aren't actually connected together or bonded. The upper vertical is cable tied to some SWA and flaps in the wind.
Singles are nicely tensioned against that edge with the weight of the upper trunking on them.
The horizonal trunking points upwards, has no drain holes or lid and has 5mm of water sitting in it simply from condensation I think.
Missing stop/reset button on door control leaving a 230v live part right behind it. Etc...

My original gut reaction was to rip out trunking and start again. But I might be being a drama queen.
I guess I could cut some plate and bolt together the lower vertical and horizontal trunking, or see if the right elbow can be found. (If anyone recognises the trunking style that has distinctive lids that are held on by spring tension alone I'd be happy to learn more!)
There's actually only 3 singles and earth in the upper trunking for the roller shutter door motor, so might lose that and change that to conduit.
That would free up the identical lid from the upper trunking.

Then I guess I need to check if the door control is DOL with reverse or soft starter with reverse and replace accordingly.
My only win so far is that I was able to convince the customer to isolate it until it's repaired.
Any thoughts appreciated!
Rip existing out, plan your routing and start again Mate.

Reply to Trunking mess - where to start! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock