Discuss What is my oven element doing? please in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sammyrose

DIY
Reaction score
I noticed yesterday the element has starting bending down why is this happening and is it still safe to use until it can be replaced in a few weeks?
Thank you

Attachments

• What is my oven element doing? please IMG_20210322_134014 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20210322_134014.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 20
'Safe' might be a relative term - I'd certainly suggest that it's going to fail very soon and stop working, if you're lucky it'll fail 'open' and just stop getting hot, unlucky and you'll have a brief pop and get to find out if your protective devices are doing their thing properly.

Cooker elements are not expensive (£20-30ish?) and take a few minutes to swap over for someone competent, please don't put this off longer than you need to.

'Safe' might be a relative term - I'd certainly suggest that it's going to fail very soon and stop working, if you're lucky it'll fail 'open' and just stop getting hot, unlucky and you'll have a brief pop and get to find out if your protective devices are doing their thing properly.

Cooker elements are not expensive (£20-30ish?) and take a few minutes to swap over for someone competent, please don't put this off longer than you need to.
Thank you I didnt think it would last long I've gone onto parts master and found an element that is listed for the model I have £36, would you know why it has bent like that I've not had it happen before to any ovens.

It can happen when the element is about to fail but it could also be caused by a thermostat that is failing and has caused overheating of the element

It can happen when the element is about to fail but it could also be caused by a thermostat that is failing and has caused overheating of the element
Right ok that's not good, hopefully replacing the element will sort it out for a while I've only had this oven about 4yrs, I'm guessing it's still ok to use the hob so can still make some meals while I wait to fix it, Would you say that it's still ok to use the hob? Many thanks

Hi - just my opinion, but I wouldn’t use that element.

Last edited:
Right ok that's not good, hopefully replacing the element will sort it out for a while I've only had this oven about 4yrs, I'm guessing it's still ok to use the hob so can still make some meals while I wait to fix it, Would you say that it's still ok to use the hob? Many thanks
I'd have thought so. By the way, if you get massively stuck with this and need a hand then I'm TA10 (just seen your profile), drop me a message on here if you need to.

I'd have thought so. By the way, if you get massively stuck with this and need a hand then I'm TA10 (just seen your profile), drop me a message on here if you need to.
Ok I thought that hob might alright to still use as I assume that the elements aren't connected cos I dunno if I can live on micro meals, thank you I'll remember that

Reply to What is my oven element doing? please in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock