Discuss What is the legal definition of an electrician? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have scoured the internet to see if I can find a 'legal' definition of an electrician. I cannot!

I have found this:

What Is A "Qualified Electrician"? | My Local Electrician

which distinguishes between a qualified and non-qualified electrician but a 'non-qualified' electrician still has 'electrician' in the title.

Normal dictionaries cannot be used as they do not go into any detail. The collins dictionary simply states an electrician as:

a person whose occupation is the installation, maintenance, and repair of electrical devices

The Oxford English Dictionary states an electrician is:

a person who installs and maintains electrical equipment

There are a lot of views about who can call themselves an electrician, generally someone who has served an apprenticeship and has the right NVQ's but is there a legal definition?
Someone who has the following attributes:
Educated to a certain standard
Can read and write, and use spellcheck on the PC
Good looking
Good with Maths
Has a thick skin
Good People skills
Plenty of cash (to pay the scams every year)
Can put up with idiots
Good hand eye coordination
Be Ruthless with customers
and finally be an all round nice guy like me

Someone who has the following attributes:
Educated to a certain standard
Can read and write, and use spellcheck on the PC
Good looking
Good with Maths
Has a thick skin
Good People skills
Plenty of cash (to pay the scams every year)
Can put up with idiots
Good hand eye coordination
Be Ruthless with customers
and finally be an all round nice guy like me
Now that is funny Pete :)

Blimey.. I've just noticed I put this one up 4 years ago! Scary!

I have scoured the internet to see if I can find a 'legal' definition of an electrician. I cannot!

I have found this:

What Is A "Qualified Electrician"? | My Local Electrician

which distinguishes between a qualified and non-qualified electrician but a 'non-qualified' electrician still has 'electrician' in the title.

Normal dictionaries cannot be used as they do not go into any detail. The collins dictionary simply states an electrician as:

a person whose occupation is the installation, maintenance, and repair of electrical devices

The Oxford English Dictionary states an electrician is:

a person who installs and maintains electrical equipment

There are a lot of views about who can call themselves an electrician, generally someone who has served an apprenticeship and has the right NVQ's but is there a legal definition?
An Electrician is just someone who does electrical work for pay.

Or if they are working in a domestic arena. they must be DIs then, hence no qualifications or experience needed just buy some tools stick electrician on the side of a van and off you go, I know it happens but it doesn't make them electricians.
PS I don't like the disagree button, far to confrontational for my liking, as is the dumb one as well, and explanation of your reasons is a far better answer imo.

Last edited:
We really are dredging up the favourites:rolleyes:

Anyone can call themselves whatever they like,electrician is as good as any title...crikey,if you can gender re-assign and identify as a pumpkin,what does a van sticker prove?

I saw a bus,with "Kelloggs" on the side of it...but it wasn't full of cornflakes.

The lad up the road,has a young daughter,who wears a top,exclaiming "Daddy's Little Angel". I asked if he had a good Christmas,and he said she hated all her presents,and spent two weeks whining to go to McD's every 3 hours...the word "Angel" was not mentioned:)

...Move on,lads,this donkey won't go faster,for whippin'

The definition Competent was removed in the 17th Edition Amd 3 and replaced with Skilled Person (electrically) .

Definition : Person who possesses, as appropriate to the nature of the electrical work to be undertaken, adequate education, training and practical skills, and who is able to perceive risks and avoid hazards which Electricity can create.

Yes a simple answer is indeed a bit vague as it covers a whole depth and spectrum of different engineering talents. I would suggest that probably the lmost important is experience with a modicum of intelligence.

Now when you consider this:
Human Beings Law and Legal Definition. ... Human beings are characterized by the ability to speak. They have a high capacity for abstract thinking and are commonly thought to possess a spirit or soul which transcends the physical body.

Now that is certainly vague as I have worked with some who do not fit that definition..............

Reply to What is the legal definition of an electrician? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net