Discuss What is the legal definition of an electrician? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Legally in some jurisdictions IIRC - To use the title engineer, you are required to have a bachelor of engineering degree at a minimum and frequently other requirements on the top.
In the states, that's the way. And as a result engineers are held in similar esteem to other professionals. In the UK, everyone is an engineer. Give a bloke a bucket and tell him to empty porta-loos and before you know it he'll be claiming he's a sanitation engineer :)

I have scoured the internet to see if I can find a 'legal' definition of an electrician. I cannot!

I have found this:

What Is A "Qualified Electrician"? | My Local Electrician

which distinguishes between a qualified and non-qualified electrician but a 'non-qualified' electrician still has 'electrician' in the title.

Normal dictionaries cannot be used as they do not go into any detail. The collins dictionary simply states an electrician as:

a person whose occupation is the installation, maintenance, and repair of electrical devices

The Oxford English Dictionary states an electrician is:

a person who installs and maintains electrical equipment

There are a lot of views about who can call themselves an electrician, generally someone who has served an apprenticeship and has the right NVQ's but is there a legal definition?
Someone who works with Electricity

I have scoured the internet to see if I can find a 'legal' definition of an electrician. I cannot!

I have found this:

What Is A "Qualified Electrician"? | My Local Electrician

which distinguishes between a qualified and non-qualified electrician but a 'non-qualified' electrician still has 'electrician' in the title.

Normal dictionaries cannot be used as they do not go into any detail. The collins dictionary simply states an electrician as:

a person whose occupation is the installation, maintenance, and repair of electrical devices

The Oxford English Dictionary states an electrician is:

a person who installs and maintains electrical equipment

There are a lot of views about who can call themselves an electrician, generally someone who has served an apprenticeship and has the right NVQ's but is there a legal definition?
Someone who works with Electricity

This is a bad subject in my opinion, I have done an advanced electrical engineering apprenticeship. City and guilds 2360.2391.2400, cert c. Then an hnd in electrical engineering, then some one who has been on a fast track (boil in a bag) course gets the same title... With an NVQ....

This is a bad subject in my opinion, I have done an advanced electrical engineering apprenticeship. City and guilds 2360.2391.2400, cert c. Then an hnd in electrical engineering, then some one who has been on a fast track (boil in a bag) course gets the same title... With an NVQ....
Just take and pass the 18th Edition BS 7671 update, and of course the Part P exam, pay the scams an inordinate fee, job done, Electrician off you go.

What is a Part P exam?
You tell me Ant, lots of folk are saying they are Part P qualified, so the assumption is that to become qualified, you need to pass some sort of Exam/Test, ergo The Part P qualification look at some of the profiles "16th 17th or 16th C&Gs and Part P when we are asked to state our Qualifications, it will be C and G number" I'm sure someone will be able to answer.
I for one don't know, when I became qualified I did a 5 years apprenticeship and 3 or 4 C and G courses, the same as you did, so you should be able to tell me because you are younger and more in tune with todays Quals.
Now see what you have made me do, get all riled up, blood pressure through the roof, now where is me Vino, need to calm down and destress. What is the Part P exam? I would give you a dumb, but seeing as you are My Mate I wont OK.

trouble these short courses are selling it as a qualification along with the DI course., when all candidates need is to read and understand it.

trouble these short courses are selling it as a qualification along with the DI course., when all candidates need is to read and understand it.
So Ant, there you go, your question has bee partly answered by someone better informed than me. Quite why these Scams peddle this carp is beyond me, oh no not really to extort money from unsuspecting individuals trying to better themselves, needs stamping on from a great height, not going to happen though, is it? to many sticky fingers in the proverbial pies, in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
it's a test by the local fire brigade. if you can pee 30ft, and 10ft high, you can be a fireman.
I remember around 5 years ago (back in the old days) Tel answered one of my questions........... sensibly! :D

Eh? It's like a foreign language when you're sensible. I keep re-reading the post thinking I must have missed the gag!

Sorry Tel, picking on you a bit today :sunflower:

Sorry Tel, picking on you a bit today :sunflower:
Tel has a thick skin, mind you he could be a bit touchy as the Mancs won the League Title, give him a few days and the shock truth will fade.

Reply to What is the legal definition of an electrician? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock