Discuss Why does my main house consumer unit trip when the inverter switched to AC backup? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Re: Program 13 page 19 'Setting voltage point back to battery mode when selecting “SBU” (SBU priority)' in program 01' of the manual reference in my #77 - what voltage do you have set as the threshold for point back?
Hello Marconi

I have the voltage set to the default value of 54v I believe. I have been reluctant to alter too many things until I figure out their effect on the other settings and to be honest I have found the manual a bit hard work with the descriptions of some of the settings. I have noticed on other comments on this forum that Axpert call something one thing and then someone else says it is actually this or that or is described as a different parameter

I managed to get the inverter working yesterday while we had a bit of sun with the pv and a load out to a kettle. The kettle was only a 1 Kw but it allowed it to take some power from the batteries as well as the PV and then when the kettle had finished the pv added power to charge the batteries alone This is the first time for some time that the pv has put this much charge into the inverter and has over the period it was working 20 mins approx. charged the batteries to 100% albeit I got a number of f12 faults. The first occurred when I was getting 6.4 amps from the pv and after it occurred it re set and carried on charging. Once the batteries were fully charged and I had had a few more f12 faults I had to go out so I shut it all off.

I did video it, albeit the whole 20 minutes but I am trying to find a way that I could add it as an attachment that was not the 2 Gb it currently is.

I suppose it is some kind of progress to get the pv charging the batteries although the issue of the f12 fault seems to then stop any charging when it occurs. I am going to try to draw off more from the batteries over the coming week and see if when they are at 50% or so the pv will re charge them even with the f12 fault occurring.

Regards the noise from the inverter, it is not so much a tonal whine as such but more like the noise of an electrical connection being made, like a buzzing sound but it may be some part on the inverter kicking in to do a specific thing it just struck me as an odd sort of noise but it may be normal.

As ever I am grateful for the help and assistance

Regards

Tonyboy

Last edited:
Thank you. I will study what you have said. What do you have set for Program 12 page 18?

To attach a video you need to convert it to mp4. Dead easy once you know how. Try:

Online video converter to MP4 - https://video.online-convert.com/convert-to-mp4
Hello Marconi

I Have program 12 set to the default values 46v and 5%, I think in the absence of any information from V ltd I decided to stick to the default values until I got some advice on the impact of any changes. Some are pre-set if you choose Pylontech in menu (5) p17

I have taken a video already on mp4 format but I get a message saying it is too large for the server to process, What is the file size limit for videos please?

Regards

Tonyboy

Hello Marconi

I Have program 12 set to the default values 46v and 5%, I think in the absence of any information from V ltd I decided to stick to the default values until I got some advice on the impact of any changes. Some are pre-set if you choose Pylontech in menu (5) p17

I have taken a video already on mp4 format but I get a message saying it is too large for the server to process, What is the file size limit for videos please?

Regards

Tonyboy
I will find out.

Those voltage checks for the two programs were to ensure there is some hysteresis between switching from utility to load in lieu of battery when battery voltage is 'low' and battery to load when its voltage is 'high' in lieu of utility. Without a voltage difference between the switch over thresholds there will be frequent changeovers perhaps at a high rate which would stress the electronics. The same hysteresis idea as employed in a room thermostat which you will be more familiar with.

I look forward to the results of your next trial with a more depleted battery being charged. That it does charge but stops on F12, resets and starts charging again only to be repeated suggests an instability of some sort perhaps of current or voltage. Or a defect which causes an instability in voltage level or current level.

Is there a date on the inverter box saying when it was manufactured? Electrolytic capacitors or which there are a few inside the box do not like being un energised for long periods and can fail or decay in value when they are after a long period dormant.

Quad Plus - https://www.quadplus.com/capacitor-reforming

Those voltage checks for the two programs were to ensure there is some hysteresis between switching from utility to load in lieu of battery when battery voltage is 'low' and battery to load when its voltage is 'high' in lieu of utility. Without a voltage difference between the switch over thresholds there will be frequent changeovers perhaps at a high rate which would stress the electronics. The same hysteresis idea as employed in a room thermostat which you will be more familiar with.

I look forward to the results of your next trial with a more depleted battery being charged. That it does charge but stops on F12, resets and starts charging again only to be repeated suggests an instability of some sort perhaps of current or voltage. Or a defect which causes an instability in voltage level or current level.

Is there a date on the inverter box saying when it was manufactured? Electrolytic capacitors or which there are a few inside the box do not like being un energised for long periods and can fail or decay in value when they are after a long period dormant.

Quad Plus - https://www.quadplus.com/capacitor-reforming
Hello Marconi

the sticker on the inverter says 06/2022 so I am guessing the cabinet was assembled in the October of 2022 when we received it.
That said who knows how long the capacitors were in the factory before they were assembled into the inverter.

If the weather brightens up this weekend I will run the inverter in battery mode to deplete them to 50% or less and then see what happens when they are being charged from the PV.

Once I get an idea of how long it takes for the f12 fault to kick in and if it re sets and continues to charge how long before a repeat, I can go back to the supplier and sort out getting it changed or the money back. As it is within the first 6 months of taking ownership of it the supplier/manufacturer is obligated to prove it was working before I received it or they are likely to be told to change it or refund me.

Lets hope for a few bright days and a set of results to follow.

Regards and thanks as ever

Tonyboy

Reply to Why does my main house consumer unit trip when the inverter switched to AC backup? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock