Discuss Wiring a new light switch from receptacle in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tpm419

DIY
Reaction score
Hello
i have a 1 gang box in bathroom with an outlet. Outlet is protected by a GFI in another room. This original outlet has 2 romex wires going into it with 2 blacks, 2 whites in the push in’s on back of the receptacle and the terminals are not used. I took out the 1 gang box and put a 2 gang box in as I want to tap off it to add a switch going to light above sink. I ran wire from light into the 2 gang box.
question is what is the best way to tap off receptacle to power the switch? Can I just run a pigtail from the brass terminal to switch and also put the neutral wire on silver terminal and wire nut with neutral wire from light?
thank you for the help

Hello
i have a 1 gang box in bathroom with an outlet. Outlet is protected by a GFI in another room. This original outlet has 2 romex wires going into it with 2 blacks, 2 whites in the push in’s on back of the receptacle and the terminals are not used. I took out the 1 gang box and put a 2 gang box in as I want to tap off it to add a switch going to light above sink. I ran wire from light into the 2 gang box.
question is what is the best way to tap off receptacle to power the switch? Can I just run a pigtail from the brass terminal to switch and also put the neutral wire on silver terminal and wire nut with neutral wire from light?
thank you for the help
Can you show a picture of the wiring.

Can you show a picture of the wiring.
Not until tomorrow but it’s a typical 14/2 wire going in and installed on receptacle via the push in connectors on rear of receptacle and another 14/2 wire also connected to the other push in connector, Going out. And naturally the ground is attached to receptacle and bunched together. The switch has a separate 14/2 wire in the 2 gang box but not installed yet.
the receptacle and switch are in a 2 gang box
thanks for reply

Hello
thank you for the help
TPM first off trip the GFCI feeding the receptacle you are talking about and make sure there is no power coming into the receptacle and yes since the wires are in the stabs in the back you can hook you wire to the screws and yes the black goes to the gold screw and the white goes to the silver screw. If you can’t do that just wire nut the to the blacks and white. I guess you are not going to have a switch. If the GFCI doesn’t disconnect the power it needs to be changed and make sure the power is off. Example plug a light into it or something to make sure it has no power

TPM first off trip the GFCI feeding the receptacle you are talking about and make sure there is no power coming into the receptacle and yes since the wires are in the stabs in the back you can hook you wire to the screws and yes the black goes to the gold screw and the white goes to the silver screw. If you can’t do that just wire nut the to the blacks and white. I guess you are not going to have a switch. If the GFCI doesn’t disconnect the power it needs to be changed and make sure the power is off. Example plug a light into it or something to make sure it has no power
Thanks. I will have a switch next to it in the same box to work the light. So I will run the black wire pigtail from brass terminal to bottom terminal of switch and run white neutral wire from silver terminal on receptacle to a wire nut bunched with white wire from light wire. Then the wire from light I will put the black wire on top terminal of switch. correct?

i kill the breaker to be sure before working on it

I miss read your question the wire you pulled to the light You will need to add a jumper from the receptacle to the top screw of the light switch and the black will be your switch leg on the bottom of the switch and yes you can hook the white to the neutrals if that is for the light. Be careful and make sure the power is off

I miss read your question the wire you pulled to the light You will need to add a jumper from the receptacle to the top screw of the light switch and the black will be your switch leg on the bottom of the switch and yes you can hook the white to the neutrals if that is for the light. Be careful and make sure the power is off
Thank you! I thought the power or hot on light switch should be the bottom screw no? When switch is toggled up than gives power to light or am I wrong

ill give it a go tomorrow. Thanks a lot for the help

Thank you! I thought the power or hot on light switch should be the bottom screw no? When switch is toggled up than gives power to light or am I wrong

ill give it a go tomorrow. Thanks a lot for the help
As far as wiring a light switch it really doesn’t matter, I’ve always put the hot on top. Good luck

so finally got it finished. I have a habit of cutting wires too short because it’s always a challenge to fit them in the box. Things were moving right along until just about being finished and putting switch back in. I then noticed I forgot attach the ground wire to the switch, it took at least 30 minutes just to correct that because of the tight quarters ( adding the ground wire to existing ground wires )
but all’s good from what I see. I was able to test the bare wires where light fixtures go and all is good.
thanks for the help! Color doesn’t quite match existing outlet but I’m not touching it if I can help it
ps forgot to take picture of pigtail coming off of outlet to switch and neutral wire from light is on opposite side to silver terminal

Attachments

• 416F747C-52C0-477D-AEE8-1DC9AEB6D558.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 3696D6AB-CEBF-4520-8C5C-0B98B0CB4E29.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 1E653D53-6C2D-4D7E-8DE5-2DABB1ED8549.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 8
  • C2C6ED67-8EB3-4B1B-A999-937F481626E0.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 24C7581C-84B0-4022-985B-1F5E00DA0D32.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 8
so finally got it finished. I have a habit of cutting wires too short because it’s always a challenge to fit them in the box. Things were moving right along until just about being finished and putting switch back in. I then noticed I forgot attach the ground wire to the switch, it took at least 30 minutes just to correct that because of the tight quarters ( adding the ground wire to existing ground wires )
but all’s good from what I see. I was able to test the bare wires where light fixtures go and all is good.
thanks for the help! Color doesn’t quite match existing outlet but I’m not touching it if I can help it
ps forgot to take picture of pigtail coming off of outlet to switch and neutral wire from light is on opposite side to silver terminal
One thing you need to know is by the NEC you must have at least 6 inches of wire sticking out just for this reason. Let this be a lesson. I’ve went behind too many people that do electrical work and cut the wires to short. Yes it is a pain in the but to correct

Reply to Wiring a new light switch from receptacle in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net