Discuss Wiring up a 3 gang remote dimmer (varilight) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

papalazarou

Hi all, not sure whether this is in the right place or even the right forum as I'm not an electrician but hopefully someone can help.

I have just bought a Varilight 3 gang remote dimmer to put in my house and unsure how to wire it up. My current switch is just a single dimmer running the main room lights, there are 2 lots of 1mm twin and earth with 1 red wire going to the 'wavy line' (is this the switch)? and another 2 red wires going to L2. L1 has no wires in it and the 2 neutrals are just connected together and blanked off with the earths going to the box.

Now I have installed some spotlights and have another 2 1mm twin and earth running into the same box. I would like all 3 sets (main room lights and 2 sets of spots) to be independantly dimmable via the 3 gang dimmer so how do I go about this. The new dimmer has 3 boxes with the 'wavy line', slave, and live connections on each. Any help would be appreciated.

many thanks in advance.

Papa

Firstly are your new spotlights wired into the lighting circuit or totally independant. What wattage are they and if they are wired into your lighting circuit how many lights are on that circuit already

Chris

no they are totally independant from the main circuit there are 2 50w spotlights wired into a fused switched connection unit and also a dimmable rope light which is wired into another connection unit. Both connection units then run into the back box that houses my main light switch. As far as I know I have 2 separate circuits one for downstairs and one for upstairs as I have 2 seperate switches in the MCB. the downstairs circuit controls lights in 5 rooms.

Hope this helps and thanks.

shaun.

The instructions are really self explanetory in the varilight dimmers, they dont work like a normal 2 way and intermediate, they have a feed, a switchline and the other connection is a control line, I will try to dig the instructions out and repost again later

I would say that the 2 wires in the dimmer are your lives, but you need to check and clarify, these need to be linked to all of the lives on the new varilight and your switchlines I think are marked as a lamp on the drawing, the neutrals should go in the block with the original ones

Last edited:

Reply to Wiring up a 3 gang remote dimmer (varilight) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock