Currently reading:
10KWp system over the phases

Discuss 10KWp system over the phases in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

saint

-
Reaction score
Hi
I'm about to quote on a 10KWp system, which will be one of the first of my own as i am newly MCS accredited. I'm getting to grips with most of this but i have a couple of questions
If i split it over the 3 phases can i do this install (all 3) as G83? If so then i guess i can do 3x 4KWp. So what FIT bracket does this fall in? <4KW or 4-10KW?

Thanks all

G83 allows up to 16A a phase. As far as the rules go, you shouldn't even need to contact the DNO till you've installed it. Having said that, it's never a bad idea to speak to the DNO.

Ok, as i thought, only need to contact DNO before installation if G59. So i can split over 3 phases and install as per G89. So is it actually 3680W (16A) max per phase or 4KW? This seems a bit of a grey area, or am i wrong?

Although DNOs have different ways of dealing with things, most will allow more than 3.68kW under G83.

EDF used to but now they are UK Power Networks the last time I spoke to them (Forget it's the same guy as when it was EDF!!) they will not let it go higher. Think a few installers in the UKPN area may be court out. I have to speak to them again in a few weeks time so it may well of changed again!

EDF used to but now they are UK Power Networks the last time I spoke to them (Forget it's the same guy as when it was EDF!!) they will not let it go higher. Think a few installers in the UKPN area may be court out. I have to speak to them again in a few weeks time so it may well of changed again!

What have they suggested for >3.68kW systems?

That's crazy! They have effectively priced any >3.68kW system out of the market.

Yep! I have heard they asked for £120 for a survey and agreed to the installation there and then! So I think it's a money making scam at the moment. Why pay a penny for a visual survey to say yes OK?

As I say things may well change again. For UKPN it's early days.

It annoys me because there is nothing they can learn on site that they don't already know. The figures are there - and we all know that a 4kW system at this time is not going to need any reinforcement. Like you say, it's just to gain £120 notes.

Hi I am also newly registered with MCS and have a 10 kw system to fit, how did this installation go ? Did you use a 3 phase inverter or 3x single phase ones. By the way I know panels are different prices, how much is a reasonable price fitted for a 10 KW system fitted to a large flat roof - Thanks.

Spoke with our DNO engineer this week and they've decided several months ago that they should ignore pv ratings which is what they wanted initially and just use inverter output ratings to size systems ,have to agree this is the way it should have been from the start!
anyway they did'nt feel the need to tell anyone this ,and so they are now overloaded with paperwork and new staff who have'nt a clue ,nothing new there!
this week I've had several applications returned asking me to fill in the attached application form (blank) which i sent back highlighting the fact that i'd already sent it and they never even looked at it .

DNO chap said the main problem was in rural areas of the Uk the transmission is 132kv down to 11kv which meant that they have less control over voltage rises and he said this will ultimately mean any large rural system >4kw per phase could well be designated G59 at their discretion
as the grid is aging and in need of repair / upgrade

Reply to 10KWp system over the phases in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock