Discuss 2012 Domestic Installer Regulations - Help!! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

smiffy70

Hi Chaps - First post on this forum so go easy on me !

I'm a time served plumber but am leaving my employer after Christmas to go self employed - Being part of a large company we had our own electricians but going self employed I was wanting to complete a Part P domestic installer course and 17th Edition wiring regs to enable me to perform basic tasks such as replacing showers, moving a socket in a bathroom etc in conjuction with the rest of my regular plumbing jobs (On the occasions our in house sparky was off ill or on holiday it was a pain having to wait around on a job for hours till another outside contractor arrived to do a 10 minute electrical job and I don't want to be in the same position as that while self employed) HOWEVER, I have been told and read a couple of articles about the legal requirements changing in January 2012 to ANY electrical work by newly registered domestic installers needing to be qualified up to NVQ level 3 ??????

Of course none of the 'training providers' who are willing to take ££££'s for these courses have any mention of this on their websites - Can any of you boys in the know shed some light on this? I have read on three different websites conflicting stories about the Jan 1st deadline being extended indefinitely/ till March 2012/ till December 2012 ....... Does anybody know whats going on (Including the governing bodies?!)

Lets make one thing clear, I would never call myself an electrician and have no intention of wiring in consumer units, underground cabling etc so I'm not one of these cowboys with a Part P defined scope running round doing these kind of jobs - I just need to be able to get on with mine effciently and safely.
What I don't want to do is pay ££££ for a course and exams in Part P and 17th edition and find I have wasted my money but by the same token the NVQ Level 3 is not a path I would want to take as 90% is probably irrelevant to what I will ever do as a plumber putting in the odd shower !(And as I as I am aware NVQ Level 3 requires evidence of domestic and industrial installations - Anyone fancy a 3 phase shower?!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the fact that new applicants will need nvq3 is for those wanting to sign up as full scope, ie electricians.

What you would sign up as is a defined scope member, which would allow you to do your own showers and the like.

Its probably a cheaper option to get connected with a spark near to you and give him your electrical bits, because this is going to get you work when someone asks him for the number of a plumber. Thats what i did when i first set up, one of my mates and brother are plumbers

I think the fact that new applicants will need nvq3 is for those wanting to sign up as full scope, ie electricians.

What you would sign up as is a defined scope member, which would allow you to do your own showers and the like.

Its probably a cheaper option to get connected with a spark near to you and give him your electrical bits, because this is going to get you work when someone asks him for the number of a plumber. Thats what i did when i first set up, one of my mates and brother are plumbers

The defined scope is exactly what I was going to do - i.e work in 'association with main (plumbing) activity' - Full scope was never an option for me for the aformentioned reasons. I'm going to email a couple of the governing bodies and see what their response is regarding the defined scope, whether the 'old' rules still apply or if it is NVQ Level 3 full stop.

I know what you are saying about getting connected with a local spark, its a route I am going to take anyway for any major electrical work I come across

For defind scope don't think it does apply mate. Give Elecsa a bell, they are always very helpfull

The answer is even they don't know when the new regs are coming in in 2012!

To be honest I'm very tempted to take your suggestion of getting hooked up to a local spark - The investment moneywise doesn't really justify 99% of the work I would do anyway i.e replacing showers using the existing wiring - which takes about an hour. Mybe get ten of those jobs a year ..... Does it really warrant the costs and reassement fees each year? If a customer wanted a new install doing I would get an electrician in anyway

Have a look at this link ,there is download that will answer most of your concerns

Electrotechnical Assessment Specification - EAS - IET Electrical

I've kind of thought about the process due to lack of work opps lately. I know my levels of competence & wouldn't work outside of this, but feel capable to go through the assessment with Level 3 C&G & 17th. Would I then need to jump through the 2356 NVQ Hoop? If so, it's no wonder I'm considering Jacking it & doing something else...How will an NVQ Police Part P any better than it already is?

Of course none of the 'training providers' who are willing to take ££££'s for these courses have any mention of this on their websites -

You're just not looking on the right training centre sites mate.

Reply to 2012 Domestic Installer Regulations - Help!! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock