Discuss 3phase industrial - clear a couple of things up? in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just take a peek above the suspended ceilings in many shops and offices, twin and earths sprawled everywhere in many cases.Its not nice and not ideal but then,welcome to the real world.;)

J.Bs = Joint boxes.

Ok thanks for the other replys, i know many many others do it, so you think its all ok to do it like that, so long as the cables are protected from any sharpe edges there may be.

cheers

The last op that used a srew terminal JB on a job of mine got his **** kicked for 5 mins , sat on the naughty step for a week on breaks and had to tear the pages out of his pocket mk catalouge!

Last edited by a moderator:
I only use JBs on a very last resort, if the cable cant be pulled back and replaced etc.

As for 'appret10' hi-jacking my thread (;) lol)...You do see almost every place with false grid ceilings with justr cables thrown above them, i dont 'think' its against any rules as long as they are protected from sharpes etc.
Somebody correct me if im wrong though!

Though i would try my best to support them the best you can, like clip them up just off the grid, on the suspended wires? Or even clip along the perimeter walls where you can??

Mark.

I only use JBs on a very last resort, if the cable cant be pulled back and replaced etc.

As for 'appret10' hi-jacking my thread (;) lol)...You do see almost every place with false grid ceilings with justr cables thrown above them, i dont 'think' its against any rules as long as they are protected from sharpes etc.
Somebody correct me if im wrong though!

Though i would try my best to support them the best you can, like clip them up just off the grid, on the suspended wires? Or even clip along the perimeter walls where you can??

Mark.
There you go then , when you've popped a few ceiling tiles and a ton of cables come down on top you
you'll get the gist of what Im saying:eek:

Its Just looks rough as a badgers ****.

You would think he would at least have used a spot of round band and took the weight off the ceiling / tidy it up a bit

You cannot run cables across the ceiling grids they must be adequately supported and not by laying them on the grid, ive only come across one type of cable allowed before which had been designed to withstand the sharp edges of the grid frame.

You cannot run cables across the ceiling grids they must be adequately supported and not by laying them on the grid, ive only come across one type of cable allowed before which had been designed to withstand the sharp edges of the grid frame.

At last1:)

Reg 522.6.5, Reg 522.8.1 to name a few would give the impression that laying cables on grid ceilings isn't acceptable as the junction points of the grid are very sharp and can lead to damage of the cable during installation or maintenance whether it be you or another trade gaining access, a nicked cable could make the whole grid live!!! as earthing the grid isn't required and any light fittings have usually got an insulation layer of paint between their earth and the grid.
Its clear your on your learning curve and open to suggestion by your company but it beggars belief they are employing this practice or intend to, unfortunately it puts you in an awkward position.

Reply to 3phase industrial - clear a couple of things up? in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net