Discuss Altered ring main, now a DIFFERENT circuit is not working? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dom, just take it easy and be methodical in your testing and write everything down. I’m the same as you, only been qualified for 14 months, so whenever I go to a job that sounds difficult, I write done everything I do as I go along, so if things go wrong like you’ve just found out, it’s easier to retrace your steps.

Ignore the negative replies mate, if you bite, they’ll just bait your more and more, just take heed from the the guys offering you advice.

Oh and by the way, good luck mate.

Dom, just take it easy and be methodical in your testing and write everything down. I’m the same as you, only been qualified for 14 months, so whenever I go to a job that sounds difficult, I write done everything I do as I go along, so if things go wrong like you’ve just found out, it’s easier to retrace your steps.

Ignore the negative replies mate, if you bite, they’ll just bait your more and more, just take heed from the the guys offering you advice.

Oh and by the way, good luck mate.
Thanks for the advice, I’ll take that on board. And thanks mate, really appreciate it. Good luck to your newly qualified self as well, all the best

Definitely. I replaced the busbar last week after someone thought it would be a good idea to shove some twisted copper cable between the breakers where it had snapped... But the connection from the RCD to busbar is fine now
Is the MCB for the cooker circuit properly clamped onto busbar?

Do a job, turn it on and use the bang test. Walk away. Does nobody actually test their work anymore before coming to the forum to get the fault diagnosed?!

In fa
Do a job, turn it on and use the bang test. Walk away. Does nobody actually test their work anymore before coming to the forum to get the fault diagnosed?!
In fairness it's not the circuit that the OP worked on that is faulty.

I've been thinking, dangerous I know, and cannot see how this would have shown up under the testing required.

Unless, that is, you do a full EICR on completion of minor works?

You should hopefully just need a voltage tester to sort this one out with a bit of luck

1. Test you have 230v coming through live side of the mcb, if not ,either as said above you have not picked up the bus bar when re fixing it underneath the mcb, or mcb has failed to reset, may just need resetting may need to be replaced

If you can, get right under the cu with a torch and check the busbar connection is definatly in the mcb, wiggling the mcb is not sufficient, my money is also on this!

2. Double check the neutral connection for the circuit is tight at the cu bar, sometimes these are loose and you have disturbed it working on the board(make sure its tight, a loose nuetral on a cooker circuit is not good!)

3. If 1 and 2 are good go to the various points of your circuit that are not working and test for voltage between L-N, L-E
(What are these readings) although you have not been working on these items and should not be the problem the results may indicate a supply in but no neutral etc

4. If youve got power going out of the cu, but no power at any of these points then you have a broken/damaged circuit, loose connection or switch, isolator rcd, etc somewhere thats been over looked maybe?

Make sure you report back to what the problem was! Lol

Last edited:
Have you got any actual test figures yet? What tester do you have?

Glad to hear you found it. Out of interest what were your end-to-end figures for the ring circuit?

Reply to Altered ring main, now a DIFFERENT circuit is not working? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock