Discuss ATL course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

ozzie10

Hello, id like to begin by saying i have read through through the 33 page topic on unqualified-inexperienced- badged "electricians, however there is a lot of differing opinions on these Electrical Trainee courses.
im 24 yrs old and im considering signing up to the ATL course, the "salesman" was round this morning and told a good story, however i would like to get some honest, non sarcastic answers from professionals in the trade.
Im looking at doing the full course which for a substantial amount of money consists of 3 main modules
1) domestic installer C&G 2357, part p and 17th ed
2)industrial "full scope electrician"
3) Installation and Maintenance of Solar Photo voltaic (PV) Systems

they are saying that to do all these i should be looking at 24 months, but i can be a DI in 12
i am not on a mission to get qualified and go self employed, i want to work for a reputable company and gain experience
What i would like to know is if i were to do this course would i be employable and able to work with a company for a few years to gain the necessary experience to be called an "electrician" or will i always be known as a Electrical Trainee and its not worth anything in the real world.
sorry if you have all answered these before but any help greatly appreciated
thank you

I would hold on to your cash.
You may find it difficult to find a firm to take you on.

There are alot of time served qualified sparks out there who can't even get a dog to bark at them never mind a job.

There are just too many people out there who will work for next to nothing which isn't doing our industry any good!

And to top it off, these training centres are raking it in, some with empty promises of earning 50 grand at the end of it.

thankyou for you response, at least i now know where i stand. ATL were claiming that after becoming a DI i could earn up to 18k, once full scope i could earn up to 22k and after 3years on the job experience i could earn28k+ is that realistic or not.
Is a college course worth while or will i still have the same problems??
sorry for all the questions but i dont want to hit 30 and have no direction in my life

It could be possible, but take out of those figures things such as a van, van insurance, fuel, tools, meters, advertising, scheme membership......the list is endless!

There's a reason that this guy is a salesman.
Trades shouldn't need them!
At least you asked the right questions before making any decisions.
The trade is knackered, that's why i've had to find work outside the UK!

thankyou, are all trades knackered or is there still anyway of becoming a skilled member of "society", ive watched my old man nearly work himself into the ground in warehouses all his life and dont fancy it myself.

1) domestic installer C&G 2357, part p and 17th ed

*You cannot complete C&G 2357 without a job.
*Part P are the building regulations for electricians. A back entry route allowing Electrical Trainee to become self-employed, which will end in April 2013.

2)industrial "full scope electrician"

*Not sure about this, Electrical Trainee course telling you all about industrial. Takes much longer.

3) Installation and Maintenance of Solar Photo voltaic (PV) Systems

*Not sure how much work will be out there for PV.

I looked into this company to undertake plumbing qual. A chap turned up to "interview" me, he had no idea when I asked any questions, all he was worried about was that u could afford it, the whole company are only interested in the money in your pocket

Reply to ATL course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock