Discuss Automotive Relays in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

topconker

Hi guys, hope I'm on the right site, if not appologies.
My query is automotive based.
I'm about to rewire my VW Beetle based trike as the main terminals are hidden away under a false panel and are nearly impossible to get to should there be a problem and I have a few questions.
The builder did not fit any fuses to the electrical system saying the relays he fitted did not need them, is this true?
I've decided I would fit them anyway, but not sure what the relays are and do, are all relays the same or are there loads of different ones? The flasher unit makes sense, but that still leaves 3 more and these will need to be rewired I guess, or do I not need them?

Again, sorry if I've posted this in the wrong forum, but hopefully someone can help.
Cheers,
TC

I can only think he has fitted loads of spots. The relays are to switch a high load from the switches that may not be able to carry the current put simply. He has probably used the VW ignition components these would not normally have relays to control them. I would like to see some fuses to be honest as your supply cables will just burn on a short on 12 .volts

PS .The relays may be fused or have some sort of thermal interrupter. Ask him to explain it to you.

You'll need fuses to protect your cabling, simple enough to do.

You need to work out the load on each circuit and cable sizes and fuse rate from there, not as daunting as it seems.

You will get some good advice here but I can recommend the 100% biker forum, some very knowledgeable people on there. Lots of bike and trike builders including myself.

100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Where you at?

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I live just outside Salisbury in Wiltshire.
Think the best way forward will be to carefull take out the old wiring and try to trace where it all goes. To be honest, if I knew an auto electrician I'd give him the job.
TC

If you are unsure that would be the best thing to do. Bike wiring is very vulnerable to chaffing damage and can quickly burn your harness, or even worse your Trike.

I've got a few mates near there, I'll ask if one can help you out.

I'm waiting for a couple of texts to come back, some work nights. I'll PM when I've got some info mate. No problems, happy to help.

A bit of info here regarding different relay types and pinouts
I use them quite a lot and have had very good service every time. They sent me the wrong fuse holders one time so I phoned him up, he then called the young lad who picked the order a F'ing retard and sent me the correct items and refunded me the postage.

Don't get that very often now.

Hi Sid,
Thanks for the message, tried to reply but had a problem with it.
Just to say many thanks for all your help.
No problem as I've managed to find an auto electricain who is going to do the job for me.
Really appreciate all your time and help.
Regards,
TC

Reply to Automotive Relays in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock