Search the forum,

Discuss BG consumer units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Andy78

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
So I generally don't fit these. I tried one a few years back, thought it was generally quite shoddy. My mate also tried a couple and reported 2 cases of RCDs not meeting trip times straight out of the box. Any cost saving instantly negated in lost time, back to a decent brand.

Last week I needed a high integrity CU at very short notice for a rush job so picked one up for an easy life keeping my fingers crossed.
On install they seemed a bit sturdier than I remembered and I quite liked the flexible approach to the high integrity option. Busbar nice and sturdy, a little too beefy if anything and all seemed to be going well.
Last MCB to fit to the busbar. I start tightening and I'm waiting to feel the resistance of a cage clamp tightening on the busbar. It doesn't come. The breaker is ever so slightly nipped onto the busbar but the screw is just spinning and not tightening. It's useless, not fit for purpose.
"So these are the bleeders than the London fire lads are on about" I'm thinking.

I'll not be going near these again for sure, plastic or metal.

The thing is, I hear a lot of electricians say they are great. Guys use them day in day out and swear to never have a problem. So what's the craic ? is this gear as garbage as I think it is or am I just unlucky ?

Not my preferred make, but I've fitted a few of the plastic ones, mainly because the shiny white plastic case looks fairly smart in a lounge or dining room. And you can hide all the labels behind the hinge-down white front cover. Now that we are all going metal, I haven't looked into what BG might offer.

That said, I generally take a box of spare MCBs of appropriate make whenever I install a CU, just so I know I've got a spare of each value with me, should I need one for whatever reason.

Not my preferred make, but I've fitted a few of the plastic ones, mainly because the shiny white plastic case looks fairly smart in a lounge or dining room. And you can hide all the labels behind the hinge-down white front cover. Now that we are all going metal, I haven't looked into what BG might offer.

That said, i generally take a box of spare MCBs of appropriate make whenever I install a CU, just so I know I've got a spare of each value with me, should I need one for whatever reason.

So do I. I have bucketfuls of my usual brand, but had no extra BG ones as I don't use them. That said, I don't expect a breaker connection to fail out of the box. I can't think of another time or brand this has happened with.

Used them a few times 6, 10 & 13 way, as well as their two way garage units - no problems.
And yes, the busbar is sturdy!

Last edited:
So do I. I have bucketfuls of my usual brand, but had no extra BG ones as I don't use them. That said, I don't expect a breaker connection to fail out of the box. I can't think of another time or brand this has happened with.
never had that problem with BG. had it several times with wylex though.

Nah you are not unlucky!

I have fitted a good few BG boards in the past. I have one customer who has loads of properties and he insists on buying the materials himself for me to fit, and he obviously likes Screwfix! At first I found them OK. But have noticed two issues. The screws for the neutrals and CPCs can be a bit naff, and as mentioned the MCB cage clamps are prone to failure. Have had the latter problem quite a few times rendering the MCB useless. The HI ability is a good feature for the price.

Due to the failures I have not bought one of these in months and tend to stick with Hager if I can help it.

I've fitted loads and never had a problem although up until roughly a year ago the neutral and earth bar screws did seem ridiculously tight, seems to have been sorted now though. The busbar has to be the biggest there is and they do look good when on show.

Nah you are not unlucky!

I have fitted a good few BG boards in the past. I have one customer who has loads of properties and he insists on buying the materials himself for me to fit, and he obviously likes Screwfix! At first I found them OK. But have noticed two issues. The screws for the neutrals and CPCs can be a bit naff, and as mentioned the MCB cage clamps are prone to failure. Have had the latter problem quite a few times rendering the MCB useless. The HI ability is a good feature for the price.

Due to the failures I have not bought one of these in months and tend to stick with Hager if I can help it.

I too use Hager and have done almost exclusively for domestic work for the past 4 years. I have never had any issues. Not once.
Useful to know that the fault I experienced is not a flash in the pan. That's enough to make me steer clear. Breakers failing to tighten properly "quite a few times" is pretty serious.

The other thing you have to watch is the lever on the breaker can touch the one beside it and could interfere with the tripping of it..

BG are not bad (ish) you pay for what you get. Plenty of space to work in but the MCB's are a bit weak.

Has anyone tried PG (Phase Guard)??? Single phase boards are not that good but their 3 phase DB's are really good for the price. Easy to work on, the shell is strong and holds its shape (you now what I mean). Worth a try???

Have used a lot of hager lately,the new metal boards. The busbar arrangement is pants,very difficult to be sure the mcb cage isnt the wrong side of the busbar tab if the board is mounted low down .I've had two CU replacements recently where the board was almost ar floor level,became utterly paranoid over the mcb mounts as it was impossible to be sure they were on the busbar properly. Always used crabtree plastic boards before amd 3,when our CEF finally gets some crabtree metal boards in I'll be straight back to those.

Reply to BG consumer units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back