Search the forum,

Discuss Capping or no capping? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Do you use capping?

• Yes plastic

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Yes metal

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Yes earthed metal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not needed

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters
Is that what you do in Ireland?
Yes. The regs require it in ROI. In NI it is optional but their preferred method of installation is to use conduit.
I find that weird that people would feel cable needs containment at all.
We are all naturally very influenced by the electrical culture we grow up in. I would say that on balance most countries view use of containment as the norm.

Is that what you do in Ireland?

I find that weird that people would feel cable needs containment at all. The outer sheathing is there for a reason otherwise we'd all just use singles.

It's what we do in Northern Ireland and I've posted about it in this thread, so felt that much would be apparant.

As for outer sheath; perhaps you could pull singles through it, but I certainly couldn't. Containment serves more than one purpose and in this instance it does more than simply offer protection against a trowel. Damage from trowels would be the least of my concerns and ease of future works a much greater issue.

You wouldn't cut cables so tight that no slack was available for future re-termination, so what exactly do you find weird about using low cost containment that allows slack to be pulled from the ceiling void, or even replacement of a cable, without the need for chopping walls?

What I find odd is the fact that a trainee spark, with a background in construction, would do the bare minimum required and not a thing more.

It's what we do in Northern Ireland and I've posted about it in this thread, so felt that much would be apparant.
I don't read much of what you post to be honest mate, i just skim stuff on here.
As for outer sheath; perhaps you could pull singles through it, but I certainly couldn't.
But conduit is literally for pulling in singles. It's there so you don't have to have outer sheathing.
What I find odd is the fact that a trainee spark, with a background in construction, would do the bare minimum required and not a thing more.
Doing unnecessary work doesn't mean you're doing more than 'the bare minimum', it means you're wasting your time and money and most importantly the customer's time and money.

I don't ferrule the neutral bar either because it's not necessary but some blokes do because it's 'better'. No difference here in my opinion.

I don't read much of what you post to be honest mate, i just skim stuff on here.
It might aid your understanding of particular comments, and help with posting meaningful responses, if you were to do so.
But conduit is literally for pulling in singles. It's there so you don't have to have outer sheathing.
Where did you learn this? Conduit can indeed serve that purpose, but it most certainly isn't its only function.
Doing unnecessary work doesn't mean you're doing more than 'the bare minimum', it means you're wasting your time and money and most importantly the customer's time and money.
I beg to differ and having pulled new cables through old conduits, consider its use to have been money well spent. Perhaps you might ask for a customer's opinion, rather than make such decisions on their behalf. We're a bit rude over here, in not asking whether or not the customer wants conduit in their walls, as it's standard practice.
I don't ferrule the neutral bar either because it's not necessary but some blokes do because it's 'better'. No difference here in my opinion.
It may or may not be necessary, depending on specific circumstances, but I don't consider this to be a useful analogy.

If you'd offered additional insulation in a new property 20 years ago, rather than being a waste of money it would have saved them considerable sums on their heating bills. Most builders wouldn't have done more than the bare minimum.

If a homeowner needs to have a cable replaced (for whatever reason) I very much doubt they'd consider £2 of conduit and bush to have been money wasted, when the alternative is chopping into their wall, replastering and redecorating.

If you don't like the idea of conduit, then don't use it, but don't try to present a weak argument about it being money wasted.

It might aid your understanding of particular comments, and help with posting meaningful responses, if you were to do so.

Where did you learn this? Conduit can indeed serve that purpose, but it most certainly isn't its only function.

I beg to differ and having pulled new cables through old conduits, consider its use to have been money well spent. Perhaps you might ask for a customer's opinion, rather than make such decisions on their behalf. We're a bit rude over here, in not asking whether or not the customer wants conduit in their walls, as it's standard practice.

It may or may not be necessary, depending on specific circumstances, but I don't consider this to be a useful analogy.

If you'd offered additional insulation in a new property 20 years ago, rather than being a waste of money it would have saved them considerable sums on their heating bills. Most builders wouldn't have done more than the bare minimum.

If a homeowner needs to have a cable replaced (for whatever reason) I very much doubt they'd consider £2 of conduit and bush to have been money wasted, when the alternative is chopping into their wall, replastering and redecorating.

If you don't like the idea of conduit, then don't use it, but don't try to present a weak argument about it being money wasted.
Pulling through conduits on rewires, especially on switch drops has saved me time extra work and no redecoration for the client, that has to be a massive plus.

Quite often its faster and easier to cap over the cables than clip them direct, (depending on the situation) It also often adds to the benefit of allowing slack to be pulled in the event of a cable being damaged at the accessory, and then left too short for re-termination.

In fact, an apprentice working for me once damaged the cable on the second fix stage of a job, where he had nicked one of the cores leaving the cable too short to re-terminate. Fortunately we were able to pull some slack through the capping saving the job of either creating a joint or re-chopping out the nicely finished new plaster. I also had a situation where there was a faulty cable in the leg of a recently installed final ring circuit. I was able to pull the offending leg out and pull in a new length saving me the job of re-chasing out.

So there is value to the customer and future electricians at a relatively low cost, so not really a waste of time or money.

Conduit has its benefit for future proofing and the addition of some extra protection (even if not required) this is not a bad thing and again depending on the situation a sensible option.

I think its just good practice to try and future proof where possible. Why not do what you can to make things a little better for the person that follows you? If we all did this (including all the other trades as well) then life would be so much easier for both the professionals and their customers.

Last edited:

Reply to Capping or no capping? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock