Currently reading:
Carrying out electrical work / testing in Scotland

Discuss Carrying out electrical work / testing in Scotland in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gazthesparky

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all
Been around for a few weeks but this is my first post so thought I would say hello

just after some advice from some sparks in Scotland. I use to work for a large NIC firm in England doing installation and periodic inspections. I know you have to be registered with a scheme to comply with Part P in England but is there such a thing in Scotland

I have since moved to Scotland and now work in the TV industry as a Production Electrician.

in my spare time I have started up doing my own private work. the question I've got is do you have to be registered to carry out work in a domestic setting?

I have done a 4 year apprenticeship
17th edition update
JIB registered Approved Electrician

ive got a Megger MFT tester all calibrated, I have public liability insurance and at the moment I fill out and give the customer a copy of the certificate once I've been paid for the work

Is this all that is required in Scotland ? Or am I missing something?

Any suggestions or help would be gratefully received as I'm just slowly starting out on my own.

Cheers

you are not missing anything , there is no part p or anything like that in scotland , you dont even have to be a spark , just a competent person and be able to prove you are competent if you burn someones house down

Hi Gaz,
not sure I should be encouraging you as there are too many sparks in ScottyLand already! You really only need to register with a provider if you plan to do work which is subject to Building Warrant, e.g. wiring an extension (and example that many don't appreciate is a board change in a flat!). That said, I know some Councils will accept sight of your SJIB card and then accept your EIC for BW purposes.

Obviously PI & PL insurance if you are going to do things properly. Just post further or PM if there are any specific questions.

PS Work in the East or North of the country, then you won't be stealing work from me:59:

You can submit certification "By Enquiry" and that means attaching a front and back copy of your SJIB card and a copy calibration certificates for any tester used . In my view this is a full audit system as someone could use their mates scheme number and thats where it falls down.

View attachment By Enquiry.pdf

Just to add local planning must have the facility to accept this type of certification but as always the jumped up civil servant who spreads urban myths ie you must be a scheme member does not help

Reply to Carrying out electrical work / testing in Scotland in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock