Discuss changing sockets and switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparkyork

my best mate wants me to swap 3 double sockets and 1 dimmer to nice stainless ones

i know for a fact that he aint got any rcd protection, and havnt checked his bonding yet. provdiing that his bonding is ok, how does things stand with the 17th and also what was in the 16th to do with rcd's?

would it need board upgrading to rcd or rcbo?? you know what mates are like and he's just a joiner so dont see what all the fuss is about!

If just changing faceplates then go for your life. I would just make sure that the CPC is earthed in the back box. No other requirements.

If extending the circuit then I would advise a CU change with upgrade to equipotential bonding. Or, at the very least fit an RCD on the circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
cheers cirrus, at what point do you have to start introducing rcd protection to the 17th? ive got a job next saturday where theres 40 to change aswell.

is it just on physical alterations to the wiring that you do rcd's?

think we posted at the same time there matey! so if im just swapping stuff over then it dont mattter whats protecting the circuit if an alteration stick an rcd in there.

and also if there aint any equipotential bonding in place or rcd's can you still not change the accesorries?

Last edited:
If you are just changing sockets and switchplates there is no problem providing that there is a cpc to the existing. That is providing a like for like. If no cpc then you will need to provide one and fit RCD's to comply with 17th ed

take it as well if the main equipotential bonding "looks" ok i you can do the work as well?

or do you physically test bonding for continuity and test Ze before doing work?

Hey sorry to hijack your thread but is not having and rcd consumer unit now a code 1? I havent done my 17th ed yet??

cheers sparkyyork

I think its cus any cable buried deeper than 50mm needs to be protected by an RCD in the 17th edition, I think you can get round it by fitting RCBO's to each circuit but gotta be cheaper and easier to change to a 17th ed CU

my best mate wants me to swap 3 double sockets and 1 dimmer to nice stainless ones

i know for a fact that he aint got any rcd protection, and havnt checked his bonding yet. provdiing that his bonding is ok, how does things stand with the 17th and also what was in the 16th to do with rcd's?

would it need board upgrading to rcd or rcbo?? you know what mates are like and he's just a joiner so dont see what all the fuss is about!

What sort of board does your mate have. Can you not change the face plates, and then put an RCBO in the board in place of the MCB (assuming the board has MCB's ) on that one circuit. Just a thought.

hi all the board was a mcb type one but cant remember the make, his bonding was ok as well. so if im changing socket and switches like for like you gotta install rcd's as well? confilicting posts in this thread, i personally dont see why you would need to if just swapping accesories.

hi all the board was a mcb type one but cant remember the make, his bonding was ok as well. so if im changing socket and switches like for like you gotta install rcd's as well? confilicting posts in this thread, i personally dont see why you would need to if just swapping accesories.

I don't think there is a need to upgrade the protection if you are just changing face plates on a like for like basis but I would take into account the location especially as you are fitting stainless fittings. If it was in a kitchen I would be inclined to reccommend an upgrade to RCD protection due to the increased risk of electric shock in a special location. If it were in a bedroom I probably wouldn't bother.

If you're mate doesn't want to change the board, you could install an RCD Main switch. Although this doesn't comply strictly with the 17th Edition, it would at least give some protection until the board is changed in the future.

at me mates house im fitting him a 17th board on the 27th as a house warming present!!

was interested in peoples thoughts on changing accessories if there aint rcd's in there

right on saturday ive got a job to do where they got 40 sockets and switches to change and prob a cooker point in there as well, i havnt seen the job yet as its about 20 miles away... if they dont have an rcd anywhere on the consumer unit does it have to have one?? its classed as maintainance work and im not adding circuits etc

would also presume that if the main bonding is non existent then cant even get the tools out!!

at me mates house im fitting him a 17th board on the 27th as a house warming present!!

was interested in peoples thoughts on changing accessories if there aint rcd's in there

right on saturday ive got a job to do where they got 40 sockets and switches to change and prob a cooker point in there as well, i havnt seen the job yet as its about 20 miles away... if they dont have an rcd anywhere on the consumer unit does it have to have one?? its classed as maintainance work and im not adding circuits etc

would also presume that if the main bonding is non existent then cant even get the tools out!!

40!!! That's going to be one boring day!

yeah!! hopefully theyll be nice to fit, what about this rcd situation then, i know about main bonding and if its NOT installed i wont do the work but if it is but undersized then ill make a note

yeah!! hopefully theyll be nice to fit, what about this rcd situation then, i know about main bonding and if its NOT installed i wont do the work but if it is but undersized then ill make a note

Yeah I'd defintly check bonding first on this one. 40 sockets/ switches is going to be quite a long day I'd have thought and I wouldn,t want to get to the end and find more probs. As for the RCD situation I do not think you need to upgrade to comply (like for like and all that)but it's always worth recommending as it makes the installation safer and could earn you a few quid!!

if i was just changing face plates etc like for like i wouldn't give it a second thought i would just swap them over.

out of interest how much are you charging for each socket if you don't mind me asking....?

customer provided her own, im charging 25 per hour. she could be a good contact to know, she works for the maker of the sockets she's got and they have crabtree internals, very nice stuff and she paid £3 per double socket etc, could charge £12 easily!

Hi guys, sorry to drag up an old post. I'm going to do a job tomorrow which entails changing all sockets and light switches in the house. They want to have stainless ones fitted. If there is an earth is it good to go ahead and change them as non-notifiable. If there is no earth then its obviously a big no no, am i right? All your help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to changing sockets and switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock