Discuss Circuit breaker rate sizing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all

I would like to know what should be the rating of Air Circuit Breaker to select for a Genset based on the following data:

2000k VA
PF 0.8
1600k W load connected to the Genset via dedicated busduct.
Supply: 415 V

I have an idean in mind (whether right or wrong) but I would like you to advise me please.
Thank you in advance

As used by DNO, lol - suggest go around 3000-4000A rating and adjust settings to suit, good luck
Thank you for your speedy reply.
Being my company the one paying for the equipment, I wonder if I can optimise costs by purchasing a 2500A breaker.
Here is my calculations to see if you find them right:

1600kw
415V
Resistive load, 3 phase balanced.
This means I = 2,226A
Assuming I consider the Genset to cater an extra 10%, that would be I = 2,450A despite the Genset is not meant to work at 110% load.

I feel wasting money if I had to buy a 3200A breaker and having anyway to calibrate trip settings at 0.78 (or 2500A).
Am I right to say that (conversely to cable size meant to be sized in excess), a breaker should be sized to protect my Genset?
Thank you again

Reply to Circuit breaker rate sizing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock