Discuss common lighting fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Homeowners phoning and saying their lights dont work anymore, go round, pull place apart, find out they had been tinkering and got all the connections wrong when trying to reassemble.:D

Other than that, generally burnt out fittings etc.

what in peoples experience would be the most common fault on lighting circuits
:)

you need to give us a clue here what you're getting at.
-------- apprentices wireing the whole job in twin brown!!
Too long fixing screws penetrating cables!
Borrowed neutrals!
No earth!
I could go on and on

Believe it or not, it's slightly dim homeowners buying 110V tungsten halogen lamps for their 230V PIR floods believing that they are cheaper to run than 230 because it's less voltage:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: then phoning up because they dont work:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

God help us all:p

you need to give us a clue here what you're getting at.
-------- apprentices wireing the whole job in twin brown!!
Too long fixing screws penetrating cables!
Borrowed neutrals!
No earth!
I could go on and on

He does clearly state MOST COMMON lighting faults. You cant go on and on because most common means most common. Thay cant all be the most common :p

in my experience the most common problem is the customer tries to change a switch cocks it up then rings a spark saying it just stoped working.

you take the switch off and its wired wrong

Most common "problem" I have come across: Lots of "class 1 equipment" - shiny chrome light fittings etc fitted by weekend DIY'ers on lighting circuits with no earth conductor?

IMO most common problem is people can't see where they're going 'cos it's too dark, the most common cause is faulty installation or age.

Is it worth mentioning that having a list of the most common causes of faults isn't nearly as efficient (= profitable) as having a good method of fault finding?

Putting my training bloke hat on (not worn for some time and smells of camel crap), if I had a penny for every minute spent watching someone pull their hair out trying to fix a fault they've "seen before" only for them to find out much, much later the real fault looks the same (similiar evidence) but has a different (and often bleedin' obvious) cause I'd have a heaving great stack of pennies... however, if I gave you a penny for every time I forgot my own advice and did the same thing you'd have a stack of pennies too :O)

i asked because i wanted to no what you would check first if you were called out for a light fault

Assuming they had called you out because the mcb had tripped or fuse had popped and won't reset.Try switching all the room lights off and then try reset again, if it can now be reset,it would appear to be a fault within a room,which room?switch on one room at a time to see which room is tripping it.Also don't forget to try the 2way hall circuit in both positions.If fault persists with all switches off,check to see if there is maybe an outside security light,which is letting in water.Then I would take the cover off c.u.,disconnect circuit neutral,and proceed to test for continuity,to see if the short is on live,earth,or live neutral.Or if there is an rcbo you could have a neutral earth fault.For your test live to neutral you might get a reading from your outside pir light,so best to disconnect it.Your fault location process should be trying to find which area the fault lies so you don't have to pull the whole place apart.Try and break the circuit into manageable sizes.

Reply to common lighting fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock