Discuss Confused about 17th Edition and C&G 2330 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mikex79

Hi
Can anyone tell me what is the difference in certificates between 17th Edition Wiring Regulation exam/certificate and City & Guilds 2330 Course for Electrician certificate/award. I understand that the 2330 is a full time course but my question is what do either of them enable you to do and which one let you work as a fully qualified electrician? I work as an electrician mate and I would like to become an electrician,Does the c&g 2330 give you a NVQ level3 award too?
thanks

so what kind of electrian job could I do if i dionlt 17th edition wiring regulations exam? Can I work as a qualified sparky in UK? I do not want to work as an electrician mate any more I want to be an electrician and I want to have my own mate :)

Hi
Can anyone tell me what is the difference in certificates between 17th Edition Wiring Regulation exam/certificate and City & Guilds 2330 Course for Electrician certificate/award. I understand that the 2330 is a full time course but my question is what do either of them enable you to do and which one let you work as a fully qualified electrician? I work as an electrician mate and I would like to become an electrician,Does the c&g 2330 give you a NVQ level3 award too?
thanks

The 2330 is the nvq yes, and the 17th is the new version of the regs.
So you will need them both to become qualified electrician and the 2330 has 3 parts to it which is a full time course of around 3 years

The 2330 is the nvq yes, and the 17th is the new version of the regs.
So you will need them both to become qualified electrician and the 2330 has 3 parts to it which is a full time course of around 3 years

the 2330 is the city and guilds technical certificates which you can do in two years (full time) level 2 and level 3, or three years (part time) the NVQ level 3 is a work based qualification, as i understand it, which you can do while working after doing the 2330. 2380 is the 17th wiring regs which you can do at evening classes and you also have to be a member of a competent persons scheme (eg niceic, napit or elecsa) to sign off your own work.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi
one more thing please, what job can i do after 2330 only, what job can i do if i have finished nvq level 3 and what kind of job can i do if i have 17th wiring reg certificate only??

this will vary from firm to firm however any jib work will require al certificates most other firms usually accept 2330 level 2, 17th and pref 2391..
smaller firms would accept maybe only 17th, but you would need to prove you can cut it.......
its a greyish area electrical certs when job hunting but theres no replacement for experience and officially there is no requirement to hold any certificates as long as your competent - part p is a diff kettle of fish but this would be held by the employer

hi everyone
I got an official e-mail from C&G which says:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The City and Guilds 2330 at level 3 is the technical certificate required by people looking to become formally qualified in the electrotechnical industry. The NVQ level 3 is a site based assessment undertaken after the technical certificate is obtained to demonstrate practical competence. Both these qualifications are required by the JIB in order to issue an ECS card to allow you to work as an electrician.
The 17th edition course you refer to is for formally qualified people to up date their knowledge on the current edition of the wiring regulations and is not a stand-alone qualification.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

this fully resolve my problem
regards

what did they miss then? please let me know.

what did they miss then? please let me know

what did they miss then? please let me know

To work on a JIB site, the JIB would like you to have an NVQ level 3. So if you want to be a member of the JIB then you would need to gain this certificate.

I have been told that some sites can be a bit of a closed shop where they want everyone on it to be a card carrying JIB member. Don't know how true it is.

It's one big rip off, sent to confuse us all and alleviate us all of some of our hard earned dollar.....again!!!!!

I'm gonna stick to my 2330, 2382 and 2391 and I ain't doing anything else! I'm even loathed to do my part P when the time comes....if it ever does?!

Stu...:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Confused about 17th Edition and C&G 2330 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net