Currently reading:
Connector for outdoor floodlight

Discuss Connector for outdoor floodlight in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have some outdoor floodlights at home in Azerbaijan, which need replacing. The way they are connected is in the photos - cable through the stone base then up into a waterproof box through a gland.

The problem is that the newer model floodlights that I can buy have much shorter cables - barely 6". And if I take the back off the light, the power cable is soldered to a PCB, unlike the last ones where I could and did change the cable for a longer one.

It seems to me that I need to join the cable underneath the stone base before it goes into the gland. So what are my options for a safe connection? The local method would be PVC tape!

I can get Waco connectors here but anything more esoteric probably not.

Thanks
WhatsApp Image 2020-04-19 at 13.54.53 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-04-19 at 13.54.53.jpeg

One step up from PVC tape is the self-amalgamating sort. Basically it is like rubber but when it is against itself it slowly moulds in to itself:
It is pretty resistant to heat, water and UV light. Usually you wrap it around, pulling a little, and then hold the tail tight for 30 seconds or so until it seems stuck.

But as freddo has already said, soldering a new iwre is an option - you should practice on something else first though!

I'm with freddo here. diss. the existing flex from the PCB and resolder a longer length while the iron is still burning your pinkies.

Is there space inside the floodlamp back for a joint? You might be able to use the exiting wire and something like this:

It is usually cheap and easy to get that sort of thing for car electrics, but if you can possibly afford it get a ratchet tool as the simple pliers-type don't give such reliable joints.

Last edited:
Is there space in the floodlamp back for a joint? You might be able to use the exiting wire and something like this:
crimp-butt-splice-terminals

Not sure, I've only looked at the lights in the shop so far. There would need to be space for three though, with the newer LED lights I suspect not.

I use these quite a lot (before Waco was available here), most of my house lights are connected with them so I do have a ratchet tool.

i still got my Weller 100watt from back in the 70's . it fixed hundreds of the early CRT televisions, some with valves. if no new tip available when needed, a bit of 2.5mm stripped out of T/E and bent to suit, made do for a few days. the iron has had 40 new tips and a new silicon flex, but it's still my iron. like Trigger's broom.
1587302500506.png

I have some outdoor floodlights at home in Azerbaijan, which need replacing. The way they are connected is in the photos - cable through the stone base then up into a waterproof box through a gland.

The problem is that the newer model floodlights that I can buy have much shorter cables - barely 6". And if I take the back off the light, the power cable is soldered to a PCB, unlike the last ones where I could and did change the cable for a longer one.

It seems to me that I need to join the cable underneath the stone base before it goes into the gland. So what are my options for a safe connection? The local method would be PVC tape!

I can get Waco connectors here but anything more esoteric probably not.

Thanks
View attachment 57548View attachment 57549
[automerge]1587565285[/automerge]
i still got my Weller 100watt from back in the 70's . it fixed hundreds of the early CRT televisions, some with valves. if no new tip available when needed, a bit of 2.5mm stripped out of T/E and bent to suit, made do for a few days. the iron has had 40 new tips and a new silicon flex, but it's still my iron. like Trigger's broom.
View attachment 57551
Here's mine. (Not actually mine in the picture. Just couldn't be bothered taking a pic).

Attachments

• boschsolderinironUntitled.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Reply to Connector for outdoor floodlight in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock