Discuss Outdoor weatherproof socket IP66 with RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pjgtech

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I am a basic DIY'er, with basic electrical skills, NB, I can change a plug/fuse, change a ceiling light fitting, change a socket face plate, install a ceiling fan, immersion heater, extractor fan, etc.

I already have one external outdoor weatherproof IP66 double socket at one end of my patio (connected to a socket in kitchen), already fitted when I moved in last year and it works fine.
I would like an additional outdoor weatherproof socket at the other end of my garden (it would be connected to a socket in the newly installed log cabin, which has its own separate consumer unit, etc).

I have been looking at the various outdoor IP66 ones, some have RCD protection built in and some don't.
To wire in a non RCD unit I understand its a simple matter of connecting a cable from the unit (Earth Neutral and Live) through the wall to an 3 pin plug and then plugging into a socket to power the unit. NB: some of the units come with the cable and plug.
However, if the outdoor weatherproof unit has built in RCD protection does it need to be wired differently or the same as a unit with no RCD protection built in?
I assume that the ones with RCD protection built in are better as theres an extra layer of protection?

For extra info the house is only four years old, so has a new and well protected electrical system, eg: split consumer unit with protection , etc..

The new external weatherproof IP66 socket will be used for outside lights (low voltage LEDs) and a hot tub.
I have an electric mower so that does not need electric, and I use the already existing outdoor socket for my electric hedge trimmer, strimmer and leaf mulcher.

Any info / advice gratefully received....
Cheers

biggest concern is the loading of the hot tub. some come with plug and 10mA RCD built in. these can be plugged in directly to the socket. you're looking at about 10A for this type.

As far as the outside socket goes, I’d get someone in to do it properly… connected to the consumer unit in the cabin…. Which will be done professionally, I presume?

If it was just for a lawnmower, then these ready made extension leads are fine… but for a hot tub, I wouldn’t like to take the risk.

If you do put in a new socket then please test it before use. Ideally for DIY with something like this:

You can get cheaper socket testers and they are better than nothing, but the above sort of model has a more meaningful test of the earth fault loop impedance (some cheap ones would pass wet string as an earth connection) and has a button to simulate a fault to verify the RCD really trips as intended for protection.

If you do put in a new socket then please test it before use. Ideally for DIY with something like this:

You can get cheaper socket testers and they are better than nothing, but the above sort of model has a more meaningful test of the earth fault loop impedance (some cheap ones would pass wet string as an earth connection) and has a button to simulate a fault to verify the RCD really trips as intended for protection.
pricceyone that. mine just as good with also having LCD voltage.hertz. N-E volts. reading and a frction of the cost.

Reply to Outdoor weatherproof socket IP66 with RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net