Discuss HMDI Cable Connector Replacement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

raggaroo

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,

We've recently moved to a new build where the HMDI cable for the TV etc. are pre-fitted in the cavity of the wall. One end of the HMDI cable if damaged. I've tried taping a new HMDI cable to trying to pull it through the wall without luck... so short of removing the wallpaper and chasing out the wall to replace the cable completely I trying to replace the connector.....

I have bought a solderless HMDI connector from Amazon (shown in one of the photos... but it's not obvious how to wire) because I understand there are so many HDMI cable types and different colours can be used..... in this was several wires are grouped with coloured foil, but then all these grouping all have a red, a blue and a white wire.

The HDMI cable I have has 'HIGH SPEED HDMI CABLE WITH ETHERNET' printed on it and:
  • 1 single lilac wire
  • 1 single clear wire
  • 1 single red wire
  • 1 single brown wire
  • 3 wires in GREEN foil - 1 red, 1 blue, 1 clear
  • 3 wires in GOLD/BROWN foil - 1 red, 1 blue, 1 clear
  • 3 wires in RED/PINK foil - 1 red, 1 blue, 1 clear
  • 3 wires in BLUE foil - 1 red, 1 blue, 1 clear
  • 3 wires in SILVER foil - 1 red, 1 blue, 1 clear
So, 19 wires in total

The HMDI connector I have bought has 20 locations which you can see in the photo.

Can anyone tell me which wire needs to go to which location number?

Thanks in anticipation.

Chris

Attachments

• HDMI 1 red.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 10
  • HDMI 2 red.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 10
Other than the colours of the foil screens that probably identify the red, green and blue TMDS channels, I don't think you can assume anything as there's no industry-standard colour code. You will have to make continuity tests between the contacts of the far connector and the bare ends of the cable. Hopefully the +, - and drain of the data and clock pairs will be consistent, reducing the testing mainly to identifying the special function conductors and which pair is the clock.

Keep the TMDS pairs twisted right up to the terminals. Screw-terminal HDMI connectors are not necessarily as good at high data rates as factory-installed moulded ones, because the capacitance of the bulky terminals affects the transmission characteristics. One you have it wired, test it with the highest-resolution and frame rate you can generate / view and watch for 'sparkles' which indicate data dropouts. You might find it works just fine on HD but sparkles on 4K, or some similar clock-dependent behaviour.

You might get lucky in that none of the hdmi Cabling is clipped to anything and just ran 'unsupported' throughout ( you did say new build)00; in which case you'll want something like a double ended cable sock - DOUBLE ENDED GRIP - https://super-rod.co.uk/double-ended-grip-2/

You can make your own with other brand cable socks.

Think of it as a Chinese finger trap, 1 cable in each end and the tighter you pull, the more it grips.

Reply to HMDI Cable Connector Replacement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net