Discuss Consumer Unit Installation Up to Scratch??? NICEIC approved Installer. in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

shinypen

Hi. I'm newly qualified as a domestic installer so well aware I've got a lot to learn about the real world but...

I looked over a friends consumer unit today. It was recently installed by a NICEIC approved spark. I noticed lots that didn't seem right to me, and I'd appreciate some feedback on which bits are actually bad and which are just "how it really works on site".

1) There's no main bonding in place to either the gas or water. The certificate has all the relevant boxes ticked to say it IS there and complies with regs.

2) The tails haven't been increased to 25mm and they don't all enter through the same knockout.

3)The main earth comes through a large gland leaving plenty of room to poke a finger through.

4) It's been RECORDED on the certificate as a TN-C-S, and does superficially look like one (it's one big cutout). I'm convinced it's a TN-S. It 100 year old house. There's actually a bit of lead sheath visible near where the cable enters the house and there is continuity between this and the MET.

5) "N/A" is recorded in the Ze box. Maybe related to the confusion between TNS and TNC-S?

6) All of the Zs are recorded as 0.35 ohms. This seems conveniently the same as the TN-C-S Ze requirement of 0.35 ohms so I checked it. Got 0.61 upstairs, 0.48 downstairs and a Ze of 0.19 at the board.

7) The main fuse is still 60amp. The max demand on the cert is recorded conveniently as 60amp.

8) Inside the consumer unit, three 2.5mm neutrals have been joined by wago all in to one 2.5mm neutral and extended to reach the terminal bar. This has also happened with a 4mm neutral to a 2.5mm. Surely this has de-rated the cable?

Many thanks for reaching the end of my long post!

Hi. I'm newly qualified as a domestic installer so well aware I've got a lot to learn about the real world but...

I looked over a friends consumer unit today. It was recently installed by a NICEIC approved spark. I noticed lots that didn't seem right to me, and I'd appreciate some feedback on which bits are actually bad and which are just "how it really works on site".

1) There's no main bonding in place to either the gas or water. The certificate has all the relevant boxes ticked to say it IS there and complies with regs.

2) The tails haven't been increased to 25mm and they don't all enter through the same knockout.

3)The main earth comes through a large gland leaving plenty of room to poke a finger through.

4) It's been RECORDED on the certificate as a TN-C-S, and does superficially look like one (it's one big cutout). I'm convinced it's a TN-S. It 100 year old house. There's actually a bit of lead sheath visible near where the cable enters the house and there is continuity between this and the MET.

5) "N/A" is recorded in the Ze box. Maybe related to the confusion between TNS and TNC-S?

6) All of the Zs are recorded as 0.35 ohms. This seems conveniently the same as the TN-C-S Ze requirement of 0.35 ohms so I checked it. Got 0.61 upstairs, 0.48 downstairs and a Ze of 0.19 at the board.

7) The main fuse is still 60amp. The max demand on the cert is recorded conveniently as 60amp.

8) Inside the consumer unit, three 2.5mm neutrals have been joined by wago all in to one 2.5mm neutral and extended to reach the terminal bar. This has also happened with a 4mm neutral to a 2.5mm. Surely this has de-rated the cable?

Many thanks for reaching the end of my long post!
Some pictures would be nice shinypen

Haven't got one I'm afraid. Didn't think to take one. I'll get them to send me a pic of the cutout. They'll be too frightened to take one of the inside of the consumer unit! Essentially, the 3 neutrals belong to the central heating and they've been joined together and extended the final 10cm by one 2.5mm neutral. Thanks.

need a pic of the CU with the cover off before making comment.

Haven't got one I'm afraid. Didn't think to take one. I'll get them to send me a pic of the cutout. They'll be too frightened to take one of the inside of the consumer unit! Essentially, the 3 neutrals belong to the central heating and they've been joined together and extended the final 10cm by one 2.5mm neutral. Thanks.
How long ago did they have this work done?
Did they get a certificate?
If it's a recent job, and the customer is unhappy with the work, you said the Electrician was an NICEIC Electrician, then they might be best advised to contact them and complain. :(

Only couple of months ago. Have certificate which is where I got all his info from. You can see outer sheath on cable and a bs951 (maybe) label attached to.

Just wondered what the consensus was before I advised them.

that TN-S clamp is non-standard and there's nowt connected to it, so TNC-S. as per the block on side of cut-out. always assuming that it's connected.

Yep. There was continuity between that label and the earth block.

Getting the type wrong not the end of the world maybe? But why no Ze recorded. Surely this compulsory?

There do appear to be areas of concern but I agree it seems to be TN-C-S. Try and get a pic of the CU.

There do appear to be areas of concern but I agree it seems to be TN-C-S. Try and get a pic of the CU.
Yes I agree try and arrange to get a pic of the innards of the CU, I'm sure if you explain to the customer they would be willing, I certainly would if I was in their shoes.

Sorry got myself a bit confused there. To clarfy, my theory is it's a TNS and the label is attached to the lead sheath then has an earth running up to the earth block and then it definitely goes from there to the C/U.

Do TNC-S ever have exposed lead outer sheaths and if so would there be continuity between that outer sheath and the MET?

Looks like an old TN-S supply converted to TN-C-S. Where does the green/yellow from the earth block go to.

Without having a poke around,always difficult to give practical opinions...

The one definitive thing i can assure you,is placing the word "approved",at the end of anything,means squat ;)

Reply to Consumer Unit Installation Up to Scratch??? NICEIC approved Installer. in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net