Discuss Consumer unit query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

that work done a year ago should have been a EIC (installation certigicate) provided, covering extent of works and a schedule of test results for every circuit. the new board looks good from what we can see.but why are there no circuit descriptors and the usual warning labels not fitted. i'd love to see inside there with the cover off (obviously after isolating the main switch (or upfront isolator if there is one)).

Labels could be under the lifted lid?
Yes, to clarify, there are labels above the lid. They are labelled 1-8. Number 4, which is down, is labelled dishwasher, kitchen and utility sockets, although all the sockets (apart from the faulty one described previously) are working so I think I will get them to check over the labelling, too. That circuit is off and effectively it's only the dishwasher that has no power.

The Contactum SPD upgrade kit comes with a breaker just like the one that's off, so it might be in the SPD circuit, and it is close to it? In which case the switch should be 'on'.
If you get an electrician in, ask them to confirm if this is the case, and if so leave it on.
Cheers for this. SPD circuit is a bit past the extent of my knowledge but at least I have an idea of what that one might be, even if I don't understand what it does!

And, to confirm, that one isn't labelled.

Wonder why there is one MCB in that board?

Note to OP the yellow button at the top of the eight units marked T is a Test button and should be operated every six months (not sure about NI requirements) to test the breaker, if the breaker does not trip or if it will not reset after tripping you need to consult an electrician.
It's (circuit breaker) protecting the SPD.

The SPD is the surge protection unit at the far right of the board.

Having the RCBO circuit description labels under the lid is a bit useless, but the labels we where referring too are "Important" labels with various wordings for instructions and a label saying when the next inspection should be carried out, something like those shown below.

Attachments

• Electrical - 1 of 1 (1).jpeg
    301.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
The SPD is the surge protection unit at the far right of the board.

Having the RCBO circuit description labels under the lid is a bit useless, but the labels we where referring too are "Important" labels with various wordings for instructions and a label saying when the next inspection should be carried out, something like that shown below.
Cheers. If that last MCB is for the SPD, I'm guessing it should be on. It was off/tripped for the first time yesterday so perhaps that narrows down their issue to something to do with it. Nobody in the house would have actively turned it off.

Cheers. If that last MCB is for the SPD, I'm guessing it should be on. It was off/tripped for the first time yesterday so perhaps that narrows down their issue to something to do with it. Nobody in the house would have actively turned it off.
Yes, it should normally be on, but no one will notice it being off unless there is a surge and equipment is damaged that otherwise might have been protected.

It is unusual for the MCB feeding a SPD to trip. While it might indict some other fault (e,g, problem with the SPD, some dumb wiring fault in the CU) it could also be signs of lightning nearby and the SPD doing its job of diverting it, but at this time of year I would be very surprised if it was!

More likely turned off for some testing and not restored.

Yes, it should normally be on, but no one will notice it being off unless there is a surge and equipment is damaged that otherwise might have been protected.

It is unusual for the MCB feeding a SPD to trip. While it might indict some other fault (e,g, problem with the SPD, some dumb wiring fault in the CU)) it could also be signs of lightning nearby and the SPD doing its job of diverting it, but at this time of year I would be very surprised if it was!
Cheers. I will have them take a look. I had it in my head that it could have had something to do with the socket switch and maybe a short circuit in it or the problem with the dishwasher (it was tripping from time to time but then it wouldn't turn on at all yesterday), which probably sounds ridiculous to a professional! I'm going to try and get the guys who did the rewire to come back and check it over. I'm only sorting it because, while I'm pretty clueless, my mother is much worse.

Last edited:

Reply to Consumer unit query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net