Currently reading:
domestic works, to P on not to P

Discuss domestic works, to P on not to P in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
i would suggest you have a chat with your local council :eek:
it doesnt matter how qualified you are notifiable work is notifiable work whoever does it.
i too am fully qualified 2391, 17th blah blah but still have to pay the £425 each year to niceic to operate within the law :eek:

The last time I did domestic work was last year, so I did contact my buildings dept and asked, besides a copy of my qualifications and my inspection and rest results of the work carried out is there any thing else you need such a payment.

The answer was NO, there’s is no payment required, as we do not need to check anything, your qualifications are enough to show you are a competent person to carry out the work, your information goes on file and held here at the Building Dept.

I found out about this from the tutor on the 17th edition course.
He ran a business, which included domestic work and he did not have part P.
He said just get to know some one at your buildings dept, let them know of the work your doing then send them your inspection and test results, if your qualified you don’t realy need Part P.
And he was right.

Indeed if thats what they say but like we have all said are they willing to confirm that in writing so you have proof. If you are unfortunate enough for any reason to be prosecuted that letter could be a get out of jail free card.

Chris

Indeed.

There have been a few successful cases of 'failure to notify' prosecutions, and im not sure "they said it was alright" would help much.

But i read it as he does notify and they are comfortable with his ability/qualifications to carry out the said works in a competent manner without the need for 3rd party inspection. So your analogy is irrellevant.
If my interpretation is correct, I would of thought it was an unusal and refreshing case of common sense breaking out in a local council!

The requirement is until you belong to a body you must inform the LABC. If you dont and as Jason said you get prosecuted for failing to notify do you really expect the person who told you your qualifications are enough to stand up in court and say its my fault Im the plonker who told him or do you think he will deny all knowledge and let you carry the can.

A phone call can be denied letter headed paper cannot and as they are the legal body that would prosecute a letter would stop any prosecution dead in its tracks.

I know which one I would prefer.

Chris

The requirement is until you belong to a body you must inform the LABC. If you dont and as Jason said you get prosecuted for failing to notify do you really expect the person who told you your qualifications are enough to stand up in court and say its my fault Im the plonker who told him or do you think he will deny all knowledge and let you carry the can.

A phone call can be denied letter headed paper cannot and as they are the legal body that would prosecute a letter would stop any prosecution dead in its tracks.

I know which one I would prefer.

Chris

I understand that chris but you miss my point. I am assuming he DOES notify the LABC.

The way read it is that work that comes under part p of the buildings regs must be notified to the local building control department.

This is not necessary if you are registered with an electrical self-certification scheme.

So, as long as you notify local building control before you start, undertake the work to bs7671 an send the lbc your eic you are covered.

After that it's up to your lbc, most will want to test your installation and charge for this. Others it seems just want to see your qualifactions.

Personally, I would make sure all my notifactions were in writing.

Or mabey just join a scheme.

As it happens I have spoken to a local labc today reference some notifiable work im quoting for.

Not being being a member of one of the schemes at the moment I rang to find out their protocols for notifying the work and the costs involved.

They told me that they indeed run their own self certification scheme. They will require me to attend their offices with originals of the qualifications I hold
From then I can certify my own work, provide them with test results and certs and jobs done, for a fee of 30 pounds per job.

I was told that my all work would be subject to "dip sampling" by their people, however if I prove I am competent / qualified, then their scheme will satisfy all notifiable part P work in their local authority area.

Personally, I think it a very good alternative to the other (very expensive) scheme providers.

As it happens I have spoken to a local labc today reference some notifiable work im quoting for.

Not being being a member of one of the schemes at the moment I rang to find out their protocols for notifying the work and the costs involved.

They told me that they indeed run their own self certification scheme. They will require me to attend their offices with originals of the qualifications I hold
From then I can certify my own work, provide them with test results and certs and jobs done, for a fee of 30 pounds per job.

I was told that my all work would be subject to "dip sampling" by their people, however if I prove I am competent / qualified, then their scheme will satisfy all notifiable part P work in their local authority area.

Personally, I think it a very good alternative to the other (very expensive) scheme providers.
It sounds like a great idea.Do you have to do this for every job(take your certs in)or just the once.Will you have to take photo ID to prove who you are and will they issue you with sort of relevant paper to say that you are allowed to self cert

It depends on how many notifiable jobs you are doing and how many local authority building controls involved.

My work takes me into 4 or 5 different authority areas so I would have to be sure of all their different policies.

Also, at £30.00 a job, if you did more than 15 jobs a year it gets quite expensive. Plus there is no on line notification or warenty.

Just the once to prove identity and quals... oh and indemnity insurance.!!

after that not sure of the ins and outs of each job.

But to be fair, even if i still have to pre-notify of carrying out work, (which i dont think i do) its no hardship.

Main thing is i'm not forking out 450 quid to NIC at the moment, and im complying with Part P for a reasonable price.

I dont have the NIC badge on the van at the moment, but at my stage of the game im not that bothered.!

I agree and i am all for saving money, especially at the moment, its just that i would not feel happy about relying on a local council.

Another problem is when you work a few miles away where its a different council, they may not be so accommodating.

I regularly work between 3 different counties and doing it this way would prove to be a real headache, because it only needs one that wont accept quals only.

I agree with Jason on this.Will they back you up in court if the customer brings charges if something happens.My opinion is that they are getting £30 for sitting on their a**e and you mention they may randomly check 1 of your jobs.Not slagging you off mate about your ability but it seems to me another Govt incentive to make money.They probably get paid extra if they have to leave the office and this is a way of saving and making money:eek:

The last time I did domestic work was last year, so I did contact my buildings dept and asked, besides a copy of my qualifications and my inspection and rest results of the work carried out is there any thing else you need such a payment.

The answer was NO, there’s is no payment required, as we do not need to check anything, your qualifications are enough to show you are a competent person to carry out the work, your information goes on file and held here at the Building Dept.

I found out about this from the tutor on the 17th edition course.
He ran a business, which included domestic work and he did not have part P.
He said just get to know some one at your buildings dept, let them know of the work your doing then send them your inspection and test results, if your qualified you don’t realy need Part P.
And he was right.
who issues the building notice that accompanies the eic that you have filled out then :confused:
not sure how you would stand proving it complies with building regs should something go wrong without that certificate :eek:
i am also registered with my local authority as an approved electrician but that doesnt give me the right to carry out notifiable work free of charge

Last edited:

Reply to domestic works, to P on not to P in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock