Discuss Earth Bonding In A Bathroom in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

skimmed through but agree with preceding posts. copper pipes under sink and bath, if preceded by plastic, are not extraneous and should not be bonded. the sparks who suggested this should be taken out and shot in the goolies, then sent on a course to understand the purpose of bonding. it seems you have an underlying fault which manifested iteself due to a water leak. sack both electrician and plumber, and then get an expert in each field to fix.

It is entirely possible that there is no fault with the electrics, a ceiling rose could be wired with no permanent live, even if it has a permanent live, the switched live is normally on the outside of the rose.

Any water creeping into the rose is likely to contact the switched live far before the permanent live. Tracking back through the wet woodwork in the house until it finds a path to earth.

If there is an rcd supplying the circuit, the path to earth through the timber and back to earth via multiple paths is going to trip the rcd well before any risk of shock occurs.

The simple fact is, the system installed because of its age is unable to detect the type of fault that occurred.

Modern rcd’s Or rcbo’s would have turned off the power, probably before the shock risk was there, but certainly the moment a shock was felt the power would be switched off as the device would trip in less than 0.03 seconds (less than a blink of an eye to the layman)

No wet floor (can't remember about bare feet)
No one got a shock until Sunday night but I worked out you only got a shock if the hallway light was on so maybe Friday and Saturday we happened to not use the taps when the light was on.
The shock happened if you only touched 1 tap
I had something not too dissimilar, a story I’ve recanted here many times. Long story, shortened. Complete bathroom refurb. Plumber was getting shocks when touching copper pipes and newly plastered wall. All walls in vicinity of bathroom had voltage to earth. Sometimes rcd would trip. Turns out previous owner had installed some dado rail on the landing years previously, with nail just nicking cable (stripper) to landing light.

As already said, get a competent electrician in to do some testing.

Awful read that ?. Wonder if that was a factor in RCDs to all circuits Buried less than 50mm in the building fabric coming in not long after? Shows the importance of IR testing.
but that wouldnot have identified the fault as the metal rack was fitted after the installation had been completed., and the fault was not there before.

but that wouldnot have identified the fault as the metal rack was fitted after the installation had been completed., and the fault was not there before.

That was a different case - the linked story involved cable damage at the time of construction, which had subsequently been certified as safe.

That was a different case - the linked story involved cable damage at the time of construction, which had subsequently been certified as safe.
mybad. mixed up the 2. however, in the emma case, it seems that the fault was from cable to encosed metal stud that was not earthed/bonded. so a IR test would not pick it up.

My advice, as per other posts, get a proper electrician in to do an EICR and mention also the problem you experienced during the flood. Installing supplementary bonding will not solve the issue, (and as stated, may potentially make it more dangerous) the fault will still remain.
Speculating on what or not what it could be is no help to you. Over the years Most of us experienced sparks have come across similar faults before , (I know I have) and the faults have been identified as the same or similar to each of all the above mentioned so far, so yours could be anyone of them or something entirely different.

I would also recommend a consumer unit upgrade, modern consumer unit devices offer much better protection.

however, in the emma case, it seems that the fault was from cable to encosed metal stud that was not earthed/bonded. so a IR test would not pick it up.
Indeed, even if you carefully followed every detail in guidance note 3 the defect would go unnoticed.

Reply to Earth Bonding In A Bathroom in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock